X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CORRECTION for 5/8 offset not needed

well this is the part I hate.....

I was right the first time.

turns out you do have to use a 5/8 offset sprocket for the stock swingarm and the bandit arm for the rear wheel to be lined up with the front. You see the bandit uses a .650" spacer but the swingarm is offset in the frame 4mm which brings us back to .490" spacer and a 5/8 offset front.

I compared the gsxr placement with a stock wheel this time to see exactly where in the swingarm the stock wheel sits. It sits dead center in the stock swingarm.

My previous measuring technique with the string was apparently inaccurate. I re-measured using a straight edge across the rim face extending to the front of the swingarm on both sides with both spacers and the .490" was the centered wheel.

I am very sorry for any probs this may have caused anyone.

I am a glowing example of why its so important to do your own measuring and calculating. I try to post what I got and how so others can confirm or contest the findings.

Man it really sucks to be wrong again.

All right... let me have it.. I deserve it.
    Last edited by katman; 11-25-2008, 04:18 AM.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Originally posted by katman View Post
    well this is the part I hate.....

I was right the first time.

turns out you do have to use a 5/8 offset sprocket for the stock swingarm and the bandit arm for the rear wheel to be lined up with the front. You see the bandit uses a .650" spacer but the swingarm is offset in the frame 4mm which brings us back to .490" spacer and a 5/8 offset front.

I compared the gsxr placement with a stock wheel this time to see exactly where in the swingarm the stock wheel sits. It sits dead center in the stock swingarm.

My previous measuring technique with the string was apparently inaccurate. I re-measured using a straight edge across the rim face extending to the front of the swingarm on both sides with both spacers and the .490" was the centered wheel.

I am very sorry for any probs this may have caused anyone.

I am a glowing example of why its so important to do your own measuring and calculating. I try to post what I got and how so others can confirm or contest the findings.

Man it really sucks to be wrong again.

All right... let me have it.. I deserve it.
    Dude...you jerk. Now my whole project is RUINED!!

HEHEHEH Just kidding man. At least you have the balls to admit it, and that is rare these days. So your previous findings were completely wrong? Can i still use the 13mm offset on MY project like Kichigai did or will that not work??

Comment

Well dude, its like this.

I'm not even sure my name is Rob anymore.

In my HUMBLE opinion which is worth mud now. His rear wheel is not aligned with the front wheel. That may or may not effect his handling.

What my findings has reveiled is centering in the swingarm isn't critical since Suzuki offsets the wheel in the bandit arm.

So, 520 is the way to go with 5/8 offset.

Here is a pic of J.W. setup we just did.

Last edited by katman; 11-25-2008, 04:42 AM.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Rob,
        When we did mine we got the bandit arm in the frame then put the wheel without spacers on the wheel spindle, then we ran a string from the headstock and centralised the wheel and made spacers to suit. This was using the 6" Dymag which uses a different sprocket carrier to the bandit so I don't think any of my measurements would be of any use to anyone.

Comment

looks great man. 6" you say.... I will be trying to stuff one in myself this winter. what did you end up with for a right hand spacer? adn what kind of frame clearance did you get if any?

I will have a similar prob with my busa wheel as it uses a diff carrier too
          Last edited by katman; 11-25-2008, 05:07 AM.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

No frame clearance at all we had to rework the frame, can't remember the spacer size there must be some pics somewhere which I'll try and find. I can recall the bandit caliper hanger had to have some meat taken off the outside.

The inside was webbed to add strength and then finished up looking like this

Comment

This is how it looks from the side no sings of rework.

Comment

you could use a 91/92 hanger. its much narrower and the same offset

Man, you have hogged out a lotta meat Steve.. nice rear sets too
                Last edited by katman; 11-25-2008, 05:17 AM.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Yeah we did take a fair bit out thats why we webbed the inside.

Comment

did ya think about hoggin out a piece of plate?
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

The wheels I had were originally made for a GSXR1000K1/K2 so they were very wide around the hub area. so the carrier was machined down and some low profile bolts were used to mount the sprocket which eventually gave us the clearance we needed, took some working out but we got there in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                        did ya think about hoggin out a piece of plate?
                        How d'ya mean?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveA View Post
                          How d'ya mean?
                          I was just thinking instead of the webbing (which is lighter) using a piece of plate as thick as the down tube and milling out the chain groove.
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

No didn't think about that, I guess it would have been an option but we didn't have easy access to a milling machine.

Comment

What you did looks real good Steve.

I may be doing that myself this winter

Steve, when you shaved the carrier did you shave the inner spacer too or just the sprocket face?
                              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X