Valve Timing GS1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
    as far as ignition timing well suzukis' are fastest at 38 degrees advance-static- non changing.

That is on an EIGHT valve motor. 16 valve motors don't like more than 36 & usually work best at 34 or 35. Ray.

Comment

8 valves like well over 40 degree's total.
      35 give or take a degree has always worked for me on 16v. race bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
        Also, if TORQUE is your goal, set them at 104 & 106. Ray.
        That is were Ii ran my stock cams on my 1150/1229 and it was perfect for the street. you did not loose that much at the top end but the motor felt so much stronger than the 106 108 timing in the range were you drive it on the street. the g-4 cams I installed were set at about 110 and that seemed to work well for the strip but made the bike docile under 7 thousand rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          That is on an EIGHT valve motor. 16 valve motors don't like more than 36 & usually work best at 34 or 35. Ray.
          +1 on 34 degrees after trying different combos that is what i settled on with Cam 2 gasoline (104 octane i think). On 93.5 street gas I ran 32 degrees.
          Last edited by skip; 12-20-2008, 04:22 PM.

Comment

100 octane is the best I can get at the pump here. So that will go in. Not going to start using race gas! If there would be better gas at the pump I would use it... Considered using E85, but that would totally offset the jetting...

I polished the piston top and the combustion chamber. Valves are polished stainless anyhow. No coatings, old fashioned build.

With that neat electronic ignition it is easy to play with timing settings. Just a number spread sheet.

at which rpm do you have all timing in?

Comment

Get a Dynatek 2000 system for it & you need full full advance by 2500 rpm. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo View Post
                Hi,

After reading Greg Cope's recomendations on APE's website and looking through the Megacycle Cam catalog, the Suzuki Manual I did this:

IO 9 BTDC
                IC 48 ABDC
                dur@1mm 237 (measured by me)
                LCI 109,5

EO 44 BBDC
                EC 5 ATDC
                DUR@1mm 229 (measured by me)
                LCE 109

stock GS1150 cams, all cam events at 1mm lift.

GS 1150 bored to 1327, larger intake (28.5) and exhaust (23 I think, cannot remember right now out of head) valves. 4-1 with open muffler, will get 36mm flatslides.

Any comments? Except going for a larger cam (maybe next season)

Regards
                Flo
                Is it standard to peg the cam events at 1mm lift?

Comment

Originally posted by gssuzukixxx View Post
                  Is it standard to peg the cam events at 1mm lift?
                  Pretty much across the board in bike motors, yes. Car standard seems to be .050in.
                  the Jap factories seem to use 1mm as a standard, most of us use .040in which is pretty much the same thing - and most I'd imagine use inch dial gauges.....Doesn't really matter which you use so long as it's repeatable and measured at a point past the silencing ramps at beginning and end of the cam lobe.
                  Last edited by GregT; 03-25-2012, 03:09 AM.

Comment

I have been dealing with cam manufacturers & building race engines for 35 years & have always used .050 myself. I grew up in a race shop & that was what my Dad always used. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X