fuel injection mod? 1980 GS850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel injection mod? 1980 GS850GL

I was wondering how I could go about injecting my bike. Some ideas on how to work it (like 4 throttle bodies, vs 1 throttle body and a plenum, etc) What parts I could use that would fit up, and such.

I plan to use Megasquirt to control it, and i would like to know if i can upgrade the points ignition on this to electronic.

The bike is a 1980 GS850G with about 35k on it.
    sure it looks good in this pic, dont let her fool ya

Whats wrong with carburetors?

Comment

Originally posted by bikerfox View Post
      I was wondering how I could go about injecting my bike. Some ideas on how to work it (like 4 throttle bodies, vs 1 throttle body and a plenum, etc) What parts I could use that would fit up, and such.

I plan to use Megasquirt to control it, and i would like to know if i can upgrade the points ignition on this to electronic.

The bike is a 1980 GS850G with about 35k on it.
      Electronic ignition is easy, search Dyna S.
      Megasquirt rocks, I am collecting parts to do it on my GS750/1000. More power, less fuel consumption, correct mixtures at all elevations, much cleaner exhaust. It's all good.
      Oh, and no more carb cleaning.
      A few others have done this before us, do another search.
      Kawasaki throttle bodies for one of the later 600s fits our engines.
      Fuel pump can fit where the airbox used to be, gravity fed from the tank. Megasquirt computer can go on the inside of the electrical panel.
      Leaves room for a nice toolbox too.
      Last edited by tkent02; 12-13-2008, 07:38 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

rad, ive never heard of this. merry christmas to me!

Comment

Surprisingly, neither have I.
          2010 Honda VFR1200F
          1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
          Being Revisited
          1981 Honda CM400T
          http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Awsome, thanks kent!

Comment

Hi,

Some random hints and thoughts:
              -Megasquirt is a good choice, works just fine with bike engines.
              -If spacing of the carbs on your bike is the same than on GS1100 then throttle bodies off from old Kawa GPZ1100 is probably the easiest solution for throttle bodies, injectors etc. A plenum with single throttle body should be usable option as well if you have skills and tools to fabricate it.
              -Almost any fuel injection pump with suitable pressure regulator will work. But it's better to pay some attention to current draw of the pump. There isn't too much extra power available from the generator and the pump is the most significant power consumer in the EFI system. GPZ1100 pump is pretty good choice in this sense if you just can find working one.
              -You can use the Megasquirt for ignition control as well. But depending of version of the Megasquirt you may need to make some modifications for controller board and arrange some kind crank position sensing. If you don't feel completely comfortable working with electronics and other EFI stuff I would recommend you starting with just fuel injection. Once you get it working you can add the ignition if you like so. The ignition part with the Megasquirt is more complicated compared to injection part and it can be a bit confusing for beginners.

Links in my signature contains some info and pictures about my EFI project.
              Arttu
              GS1100E EFI turbo
              Project thread

Comment

And a few thoughts from me,
                When installing MS, consider using the original Suzuki electronic pickups especially with MS Micro.
                With any of the electronic pickups you will need to set the timing at a fixed point about 60 to 70° advanced for the ECU to work with.
                If you get into a steep learning curve, setup the MS as a fuel only and use the electronic ignition as delivered until you are up to speed and then change over to full MS control of fuel and spark.
                Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2008, 12:22 PM. Reason: I was in the mood to

Comment

Originally posted by bikerfox View Post
                  ... and i would like to know if i can upgrade the points ignition on this to electronic.
                  Good news there ... your bike already has electronic ignition.

Suzuki stopped using points with the '79 models.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Suzuki stopped using points with the '79 models.

Is that true on all models?

And, why did they wait so long, they were using some form of pointless ignition on the two stroke singles from around 1971?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Not sure about all the dirt models, but I am reasonably sure that all the GS-series bikes lost their points and kick starters going into the 1980 production run.

Typical of some manufacturers, though, there might have been a few hybrids to get rid of the last few left-over parts.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Not sure about all the dirt models, but I am reasonably sure that all the GS-series bikes lost their points and kick starters going into the 1980 production run.

Typical of some manufacturers, though, there might have been a few hybrids to get rid of the last few left-over parts.

...reasonably sure... According to the factory service manual, the electronic ignition was one of the defining changes for the '80 model. The bike in question is exactly the same model as mine (not counting color), and I don't have points (I've had that cover off to replace it with one having no road-rash).
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

BTW... Keep us informed of progress. I think about doing the same mod someday.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yes, keep us updated! You've now got me thinking again... every time I get on this forum lately someone is doing something that takes my eye... if I'm not careful I'll never get mine back together for all the extra things I want to do :-)
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

i certainly will! First part of the project though....getting the money

Comment

Working...
                              X