1st Gen GSXR upgrade for GS1100ED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Gen GSXR upgrade for GS1100ED

EDIT: Avideo after the 2009 Mt Shast GSR trip (2500 miles 8 days)

88 3spoke GSXR 1100 rims, forks; 2002 Bandit Swingarm. Ohlins SU-145 shocks; Yoshimura Stainless 4:2:1 from 2nd Gen GSXR; NOS Yoshi period can. Shot after re...

EDIT: OK if you are impatient, and want to see the finished product without wading through a bunch of posts go here.

OK I have been a little under the radar on my plans for the GS1100ED and since Ray asked, I decided to start a new thread and post a few pics.

So for point of reference, here is my fleet and the garage space I'm trying to work in. I'm not NEAR as organized as jwhelan65

OK so an quick overview of this phase of the project. After much hemming and hawing and research here and looking at other projects and getting an 86 GSXR with 91 GSXR 17" conversion I finally decided to go with a moderate and more subtle upgrade for the ED and go with a 1st Gen Gixxer conversion . It started using the 87 wheels but I got a set of 88 (3 spokes) and so that is where I'm heading now.

Pros/Cons:
    * I don't get the fatty 180/55-17 rear I settle for a 160-60-18 (or 170/60-18 as installed)
    * no USD forks but the 1st Gen forks are 41 mm (v.s. 37 stock) the axles are 17 mm v.s. 15 mm stock (although not 20 mm as the ) Slingshot forks (50mm upper and 41 mm lower).
    * I get upgraded radials and wider rubber
    * I get upgraded brakes (two pot vs single pot on 310 mm rotors v.s. 280 mm)
    * forks will look stock to the uninitiated
    * wheels will not but they will look like 2nd GEn wheels albeit 18" v.s. 17"
    * Not as much chain and wheel clearance issues
    * reduced offset on he counter sprocket (3/8" v.s. 5/8")
    * improved ground clearance (18" v.s. 17" conversion)
    * The reduced squeeze is paying off in that I was able to get the to retain the stock brake master without relocation or having to use rear sets.

Overview summary of the parts (updated 2/12/14)

My original intent was to build a bike that is close to how it would have been done in the early 90's while still retaining the look of the stock bike. Kind of a vintage factory resto-mod if you like. It is supposed to look (to the untrained eye), as if it could have come from the factory this way.

Suspension:
    * 88 GSXR 1100 3 spoke wheels 2.75"x18" and 4.5"x18" (front/rear) running 110/80-18 and 170/60-18 (F/R)
    * Galfer Wave rotors ft, GSXR rotor back, EBC HH sintered pads all around
    * 87-88 1100 forks (29.3") with Race Tech emulators and springs
    * stock triple 87-88 GSXR 1100, aftermarket GSXR fork brace
    (Note you can increase the trail by using a 1st Gen GSXR 750 triple clamp. The 750 offset is more than the 1100 )
    * modified GSXR top triple with GS1100ED handle bar risers, Gauge mounts and steering stops
    * Katman modified 2002 Bandit swingarm and offset pivot spacers to fit stock rear brake master
    * Modified rear brake pivot so I don't have to relocate the brake master (allows me to retain the stock foot pegs).
    * Bandit chain guard , Bandit brake arm
    * 1st Gen GSXR under-slung brake master
    * SU-145 Ohlins (stock length + 30-50mm)
    * 530 gear conversion with 3/8 offset sprocket
    * 2nd Gen GSXR fork mounted steering damper.
    * Stainless brake lines
    * Disabled 83 GS1100 anti dives fitted to GSXR forks.

Engine:
    * 1166 10.25 CR Weisco
    * Ported Head (by headsbikesmopars) with 28mm 1150 intakes , backcut valves and Serdi radius cut valve job.
    * 0.340 Webcams
    * High pressure Gears
    * Welded Superhub with all EBC clutch springs.
    * DJ Jetted 1150 BST36 carbs using LM-2 from Innovate Motorsports
    * Top End Oiler with GregB distribution block

Exhaust:
    *FrankenYoshi: stainless Yoshi 2nd Gen GSXR 4:2:1 , Vintage CB550 Honda Yoshi can, V&H spickets, custom stainless midpipe/hanger.
    * And not is was not cheap to put all this together.

Body
    * Maier Sport Fairing Large
    * Color matched to OEM red Pearl paint
    * Vintage Sport rack
    * Corbin Seat
    * Vintage Restoration Decal set with various Suzuki/Yoshi/etc decals from ebay
    * Engine guards with matching GS1100ED rear foot pegs

Electrical:
    * Solid State Power Box (fuse box replacement eliminated Ignition Relay Modification)
    * Compufire Series R/R
    * Accel Coils with stock ignitor
    * Electrosport Stator with oil sprayer
    * Lighted 2 1/4" dash gauges Oil Pressure and Voltmeter and Power Plug
    * Amperite "STOP ALLERT" brake flasher
    Here is a pic doing alignment measurements to determine rear spacers ; been working closely with Katman on that. The 88 18"x4.5" wheels are unique somewhat different to the 17"x5.5"

Here is the modified rear brake pivot knuckle. I cut off the little arms and rewelded them about 5 mm each to provide clearance for both the rear brake plunger rod and the return springs between the frame and the bandit swinger. A 4.5 mm offset to the Bandit arm is required to accomplish this. No other spacers behind the master are required. Basically this allows me to keep the stock pegs, rear brake pedal and master cylinder and no welding on the frame. Here is the finished modified part:

modified_Brake_pivot_zps5bcb4e9f.jpg

And here is the final clearance achieved.

Continued

All the pictures are screwed up; here is a link to a slide show

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
    Last edited by posplayr; 09-02-2014, 04:00 AM.

More

One of the complications of doing the Gixxer conversion is getting the triple clamp right. Sure the stock triple with fit right into the ED frame using the stock ED bearings, but you still have to deal with the following:

1.) risers for super bike bars
    2.) steering stops
    3.) Clock mounts
    4.) Ignition key/mounts

The current plan is to cut all these parts off of a stock ED and weld them to a 1st gen Gixxer triple clamp. After clean up and paint everything should look pretty stock.

Here is the ravaged donor ED triple.

Deciding now whether to find some one to do all of this odds and ends welding or get a MIG welder to DIY.

Pos
    Last edited by posplayr; 01-01-2009, 07:04 PM.

Comment

can i have the handlebar mounts you cut off?

Comment

Let me spell it out

can i have the handlebar mounts you cut off?
        IN OH

Pos

EDIT: Jed Sorry those are the pieces I plan to get welded to the GSXR triple top.
        Last edited by posplayr; 01-01-2009, 09:39 PM.

Comment

POS,

Great thread, looking forward to following your conversion so to speak. Really like the idea of using the 18" wheels. Many will chime in and say you have more options with 17 inch but a quick check will show you that Bridgestone and Michelin offer most of their sport and sport touring tires in 18". I looked for a long time and couldn't find a set of 88s.

Keep the info flowing. PS great idea working upside down. Never would have thought of that but it makes so much sense.

Comment

isleoman

isleoman

quick check will show you that Bridgestone and Michelin offer most of their sport and sport touring tires in 18".
            Yea, this is probably the top runner for 18"

I looked for a long time and couldn't find a set of 88s.
            I bought the set that SRADER over at Gixxer.com had. Not cheap and not perfect but they are polished and so they will not be that much work to get respectable. I finally went 18" after failing to find a reasonable 2nd gen 4:2:1 exhaust to get the extra ground clearance that 80gs1000 did.

I think you were the source of the modified Knuckle idea (Josh has it). I have not see the modified part but I took the idea and ran with it.

great idea working upside down. Never would have thought of that but it makes so much sense.
            I'm using a crutch by having the spare frame. I got it from Ray to help me figure out how to put my ridable ED back together. No if I end up doing any frame bracing, it will be to this frame and I will swap it all over.

Rob and I have been going back and forth on wheels, swingers , spacers , cush hubs, alignment and all that. I'll have to confirm with him, but we might publish the results of different measurement approaches, tolerance requirements and measurement accuracy results. Diagrams to be included.

Pos

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              IN OH

Pos

EDIT: Jed Sorry those are the pieces I plan to get welded to the GSXR triple top.

ah, i misunderstood. i thought they were scrap.

Comment

I think you were the source of the modified Knuckle idea (Josh has it). I have not see the modified part but I took the idea and ran with it.

POS,

Thought I posted it but might have sent to someone in an email also. In either case this is how mine was modified

I never got past dry fitting mine but it did work dry.

Comment

Kuckle

Looks like that 82 knuckle part is the same as the 83. You did it a little different as you seem to have routed the plunger even further away from centerline.

I came up with something a little different. Your idea as well as Katman of spacing the swinger further over gave me about 10 mm total.

Here you see the plunger arm was moved flush with the surface that bears against the frame boss. The plunger comes right in between (with adequate clearance I hope) of about 1 mm on either side allowing for the adjuster nut rotation.

Pos

In the other post I showed how i also moved the spring arm and got the return springs off of the swinger. Katman is going to make me some new pivot bushings to get this offset.

Comment

Will you be able to turn right?

That 83 frame is mine when you're done with it.
                    I will not be denied!

That bike is going to be bad a$$.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Pototype under development

Will you be able to turn right?
                      Yes Bill will have Hinging spigots for the headers so they swing to the outside of the turn providing better clearance

That bike is going to be bad a$$.
                      It will be if i do the welding.....

Pos

Comment

[QUOTE=posplayr;938871]One of the complications of doing the Gixxer conversion is getting the triple clamp right. Sure the stock triple with fit right into the ED frame using the stock ED bearings, but you still have to deal with the following:

The current plan is to cut all these parts off of a stock ED and weld them to a 1st gen Gixxer triple clamp. After clean up and paint everything should look pretty stock.

Here is the ravaged donor ED triple.

POS

Just a thought. There are bolt on risers available on EBAY for example:

Does the GSXR top tripple not allow for drilling hole to accept risers? The example above was just something I found quick not necessarily what I'd go with. They have nicer looking black ones also. I wonder if you really even need more than one bolt for each riser. Once the bars are tight I don't think they would be able to rotate. I think my Gen 1 FZ1 only has one bolt per riser but it also sits in sort of a recess. I bolted my risers to my 94 GSXR top tripple. You could also drill/tap the bottoms of your ED risers and run the bolts from the bottom of the tripple up into them. Again, Just a thought.

Actually after looking at your ED risers again, just drill all the way through the existing holes and use longer bolts with nuts on the under side of the tripple.

Comment

Risers

Yes i have looked at various risers and single or dual bolt configurations, but after looking at the Gen 1 gixxer triple top, it is rather thin and relies on internal webbing (underneath) for strength. One of the webs is right where you would want to bolt the risers.

Even if i went this way it would only solve one problem,risers. I would still have, clocks mounts, ignition and steering stops to deal with. Because the spacing under the fairing and the spacing of the clocks to the ignition is kinda tights I though it best to cut these pieces of an just get them welded to the triple.

I'll keep the triple mounted to a set of forks to minimize any warpage during welding.

Pos

P.S. any ideas on steering stops? Thinking to get some round stock and drill holes in the lower triple and have that welded in.

Comment

Ok here goes ....

I'm a little confused as to which front end you are using here tbh but i'm guessing its the early gix one if so i cant see why you didnt just stuff the whole lot in including yokes, much easier 87 /88 forks are not first generation gsxr

RE- drilling the stock gix top yoke, its not a problem as all you need to do is weld in a couple of ally triangles then drill exactly where you want for the risers, plenty strong & safe enough

Lastly ive never liked drilling & bolting the bottom yoke for lockstops as the position of the holes needed is quite close to the edge in most cases & a good hard bang can stress crack the yoke, i suppose welding bits in as above would help but imo its far better to re-weld new lockstops onto the frame to suit

Sorry if all that sounds a little negitive but i really do wish you'd asked before getting so far into it, tone
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2009, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Jim,

I REALLY like the idea of scrapping an upper triple and welding it... I may see if I can find a scrap and do the same thing. I won't do it if I can't find another...I want to keep the the OEM stuff I have.

I am in the middle of scoring Bandit parts for converting my '82 to cartridge forks. Already have the triples and handlebar mounts and a front rim. Would like to get a Bandit swinger and have Katman do the conversion for dual shocks, too, if he still offers the service.

Keep up the good work!!

Mike
                              Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Working...
                              X