1978 gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs1000

I am in the process of tearing down my 78 GS1000 for a frame up. It is missing a lot of parts and I have decided to do some mods to it. I will post pics as I do everything.

I had a 750 GSXR given to me and am thinking about using some of its parts for this build.

Can I use the front end from the 750 on the 1000 and will I need to upgrade the forks to accommodate the extra weight? (My front end is pooched!)

I will be using the rear end but will butcher it to handle twin external shocks to look original. I might add 4-6 inches to the length to give it a long drag bike look.

G

The 750 front will bolt up, but, depending on the year, may be too short. Measure it up first
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Wouldn't the '78 have ball bearings in the steering head rather than tapered like the GSXR?
      If not, short front end for a drag bike could be just the ticket. Long and low...

Comment

Originally posted by courier11sec View Post
        Wouldn't the '78 have ball bearings in the steering head rather than tapered like the GSXR?
        If not, short front end for a drag bike could be just the ticket. Long and low...
        My 81 1000G has tapered in the stem, off to price them on Bike Bandit right now as a matter of fact.

Comment

All Ballz

My 79 1000 had tapered roller bearings. I don't know what I paid for the All Ballz replacements I put in but I bought them, fork seals, and a couple other things for $70.00. Not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by bucketsofgs1000 View Post
            My 79 1000 had tapered roller bearings. I don't know what I paid for the All Ballz replacements I put in but I bought them, fork seals, and a couple other things for $70.00. Not too bad.
            I've been searching for a place to get All Ballz as it'll be over $70.00 just for the upper and lower bearing OEM, any ideas?

Comment

What year is the GSXR 750?

Comment

My 79 750 has ball bearings in the neck, but my 81 850 is tapered bearing. Perhaps all the bigger framed bikes are tapered bearing?

Comment

Changing over to tapered-roller steering head bearings was a common mod on the 1977-79 GS 750.
                  1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                    I've been searching for a place to get All Ballz as it'll be over $70.00 just for the upper and lower bearing OEM, any ideas?
                    Just go to your local bearing house!!

And why are you replacing them? Rusted?

They last forever in this application
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I bought mine through my local suzuki dealer. I was surprised by the price. I think the bearings were only about $40, but its been quite a while. The only reason I replaced mine was I had my frame powder coated and I could not get the races out for the baking process without damaging them. Oh yeah, and I replaced or rebuilt every other part of the bike during that project.

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
                        Changing over to tapered-roller steering head bearings was a common mod on the 1977-79 GS 750.
                        Is is just a matter of new races and bearings or is the ID of the steering head different?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                          What year is the GSXR 750?

Good question, I will have to look. I think it is a late 80's early 90's. No engine no electrical but everything else is there including the fiberglass. It is a good roller.

G

Comment

Originally posted by courier11sec View Post
                            That's the idea! And the rear end stretch!

Comment

You should look at the projects around this site (some of the folks who have replied to your post would be good references) and notice that if you can envision it, it can be done. Like an '80 era GS1000 that has late-model running gear...sound like something you're interested in?
                              Look. Read. Learn. You've come to the right place. Not only is it "do able"...it's been done...many times.

Comment

Working...
                              X