83 GS750 or GS700E Susp/Wheel Upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS750 or GS700E Susp/Wheel Upgrades?

Whats available and what have you guys done for suspension and wheel upgrades on this chassis?

Anything a straight bolt on or relatively easy fab? Would at least like to get to good rubber and maybe a set of forks without that cruddy anti-dive.

Any help here would be great, bike is coming apart soon and would like to start shopping for parts!

I bought a set of 1150 wheels for my 750ES but never got around to installing them. Widths are 2.75/3.5" vs. 2.15/2.5 for the 700/750 wheels.

Looks like the rear is a bolt on (have to verify) but the front wheel needs a little machining to narrow the disc mounting flange (distance between the discs). Front hub has plenty of meat so it should be an easy mod for a machinest.

Wheels are sitting in the garage - have the rear sprocket carrier but no discs. Let me know if you are interesting in them.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

'89 to '97 gsx 600 (same year 750 katana are the same parts, so those will work too.) katana front fork assy and matching rear wheel on mine, rear mounts as is with the kats' spacers and caliper mount. It is a little snug so you have to shave about an 1/8 of an inch off the right side spacer or the outer side of the caliper mount. The fork bolts right on with the same bearings as stock. The steering stops are different. I drilled and tapped two small holes into the frame and installed bolts to match up to the stops on the lower triple tree, very easy. On my ES I had to notch the top of the fairing mount for the 600 ignition switch to clear it. And shorten the mount for the ignition switch on the upper tree (to raise the switch) so it would line up the fork lock also. (makes the mount notch smaller too) I am switching to a one inch wider rear wheel (3.5 to 4.5) from an '89 1100 GSXR so I can go up to a 160 width tire. 140/70 radial is on it now. The radials alone is worth the swap, the wheels are alot lighter also. Stock front master cylinder works just fine with the four piston 600 (or 750) calipers. The handlebars work well also, (At least for me anyway, I'm 5'10 225 ish) You would have to modify the gauge mount also, I cut off the stock tabs and welded on some flat stock and drilled a hole in each one. I used the same bolts that hold the handlebars on, installed longer bolts and fastened the gauge mount to the bottom of the upper triple tree.
      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
        '89 to '97 gsx 600 (same year 750 katana are the same parts, so those will work too.) katana front fork assy and matching rear wheel on mine, rear mounts as is with the kats' spacers and caliper mount. It is a little snug so you have to shave about an 1/8 of an inch off the right side spacer or the outer side of the caliper mount. The fork bolts right on with the same bearings as stock. The steering stops are different. I drilled and tapped two small holes into the frame and installed bolts to match up to the stops on the lower triple tree, very easy. On my ES I had to notch the top of the fairing mount for the 600 ignition switch to clear it. And shorten the mount for the ignition switch on the upper tree (to raise the switch) so it would line up the fork lock also. (makes the mount notch smaller too) I am switching to a one inch wider rear wheel (3.5 to 4.5) from an '89 1100 GSXR so I can go up to a 160 width tire. 140/70 radial is on it now. The radials alone is worth the swap, the wheels are alot lighter also. Stock front master cylinder works just fine with the four piston 600 (or 750) calipers. The handlebars work well also, (At least for me anyway, I'm 5'10 225 ish) You would have to modify the gauge mount also, I cut off the stock tabs and welded on some flat stock and drilled a hole in each one. I used the same bolts that hold the handlebars on, installed longer bolts and fastened the gauge mount to the bottom of the upper triple tree.
        Got some good pics of your setup? Would love to see it!

Thanks!

Comment

Go to gs owners "post a picture of your bike" thread, page 37. Rear wheel is bare aluminum now. Rear shock is different too, that was an experiment with a gsxr shock, it has a Hagon on it now. Bodywork is finally getting painted this spring also.
          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Dee - Y'know, Reproduction Decals is looking for a 83 750 ES to make the stock decal set for.

If your bike is down for the winter, maybe you would consider shipping the bodywork and the tank to them for a couple weeks so that they can reproduce that gorgeous scheme that's on it now...

Hell, I'd even help with the shipping costs if you would be so gracious.

On the suspension: it looks great. I think that might be the ticket, I love those wheels. Something about that design...

I noticed you're in Oshkosh, next time I get to the valley, I'd love to check your bike out!

Comment

'88 GSX-R750 wheels and calipers. PFM iron rotors up front and GSX-R stocker in the rear. '95 GSX-R750 forks in a CBR954 triple.

Comment

Are both of you guys running the stock swingarms? No chain mods?

Comment

Originally posted by groundshock View Post
                  Dee - Y'know, Reproduction Decals is looking for a 83 750 ES to make the stock decal set for.

If your bike is down for the winter, maybe you would consider shipping the bodywork and the tank to them for a couple weeks so that they can reproduce that gorgeous scheme that's on it now...

Hell, I'd even help with the shipping costs if you would be so gracious.

On the suspension: it looks great. I think that might be the ticket, I love those wheels. Something about that design...

I noticed you're in Oshkosh, next time I get to the valley, I'd love to check your bike out!
                  Just an FYI just sent my 85 700es body parts ( blue ) to Reproduction Decals, cost $50 to ship to Canada...not sure if they are the same cut but might be worth checkin out. They should have them this week.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                    Just an FYI just sent my 85 700es body parts ( blue ) to Reproduction Decals, cost $50 to ship to Canada...not sure if they are the same cut but might be worth checkin out. They should have them this week.
                    They're not the same. I wish they were.

I'm just hoping to find a willing participant with my model to send up there.

Comment

Originally posted by groundshock View Post
                      They're not the same. I wish they were.

I'm just hoping to find a willing participant with my model to send up there.
                      I sent Andre a message that if he is looking for a subject to copy, I can help him out. Waiting to hear back from him.

I have GSXR style wheels on my bike with stock swingarm and forks.

Kevan
                      1984 GS750

Comment

Originally posted by kevan View Post
                        I sent Andre a message that if he is looking for a subject to copy, I can help him out. Waiting to hear back from him.

I have GSXR style wheels on my bike with stock swingarm and forks.

Kevan
                        1984 GS750
                        I'd kill for a nice set of 83 ES decals to be made.

MOST gorgeous.

Got pics of your setup?

Comment

Would that be someone of my choice or yours?

Here is link to a photo on the GS Resources page.

Kevan

Comment

Would that be someone of my choice or yours?

Kevan
                            I'm sure we could work something out.

Comment

The pearl white and red ’83 750ES paint job would not be hard to replicate using paint; lay down the white first and then the red after masking. Pinstripe tape could be used for the surround around the red. Only part that you would have to purchase is the SUZUKI decals.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X