GSXR1100 Fork Guage Bracket on 1100ez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR1100 Fork Guage Bracket on 1100ez

As many know its damn easy to mount GSXR forks onto an 1100e. The time consuming part is getting the gauges and ignition mounted.

I was doing some polishing so while I had mine apart I thought I'd take some close ups.

First here's the finished product, Gauges and ignition are very close to stock locations.

Now for the de-construct:

Here are the pieces:

The bracket Top Piece in top photo Right Piece in bottom photo took a month of thought and planning but just a couple hours to fabricate
    Last edited by isleoman; 01-31-2009, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Here's bracket mounted to top triple, note tapped holes for mounting ignition. Have to attach bracket first then ignition (this was the break through). Top triple is stock 94 GSXR1100 unit. Not sure what those down post bracket is mounted to are for on the GSXR. Only mod to the top triple was the four drill holes for the risers (bought Risers off ebay haven't been able to determine manufacturer). This idea would probably work with other risers. Maybe even the ones with single bolts.

Bracket is a little flimsy when not mounted but becomes a stressed member once attached with igniton mounted. I don't have any vibes or flex when under way.

Photo of unit mounted on bike.

Comment

Side view, note upward bend (maybe 20 degrees or so) of bracket.

Comment

Note allen screws mounting ignition to bracket. Note that small square tabs needed to be welded to bracket to allow for ignition to be bolted to it.

That's the stock GS1100ez ignition with steering lock shown. I don't use the steering lock. I had to snap the piece on the top of the frame tube off. I'm talking about the piece that the steering lock would engage with. Just couldn't make it work with the GSXR triple location for the ignition.

By the way that's ice on the board and in the background in the photo, took the photos outside today and its cold........
          Last edited by isleoman; 01-31-2009, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Assembled pieces from the top

Comment

Thats a keeper ! Someday..........I would hate to chop my stock machine but if it were in the cards I would copy yours tomorrow. For the 100th time..........this is the sweetest Bike Ive never seen !
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

That looks like some first class work. Ever thought about offering dup. to forum members

Comment

A little dark, gauges mounted note shoulder on gauge mounting bolt bolt below bracket.

Rubber baby buggy washers mounted to shoulder on bolt, washer, then nut to hold everything in place.

Rubber baby buggy washers couldn't be placed on top of bracket because speedometer and tach cables wouldn't reach. Works just fine as shown.
                  Last edited by isleoman; 01-31-2009, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                    Thats a keeper ! Someday..........I would hate to chop my stock machine but if it were in the cards I would copy yours tomorrow. For the 100th time..........this is the sweetest Bike Ive never seen !

Dave, the only non-reversible thing done to the entire bike was the removal of the steering stem ring off the frame. Probably even that could be rewelded.

I'm gonna do similar (reversible) mods to my 1974 Z1. No sense in hanging on to stuff that doesn't make you happy. I don't plan to sell any toys in my lifetime.

Comment

The holes in the lower left and lower right are part of the stock triple, the clip ons bolt there.

The depth of the top GSXR triple plate is .287 inches where I drilled the holes for the risers.

Comment

Only hope when I do one with my Bandit mods that it turns out that good!!
                        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

The pieces polished nicely which I figured they would. It's going to be problematic keeping the surface of the triple scracth free. I have a foam key fob with no key ring from the aftermarket supplier "wild hair" on my FZ1 and am looking for a way to mount my GS key fob from HMC (engine builder) so it doesn't scracth.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                            That looks like some first class work. Ever thought about offering dup. to forum members
                            I think I have athe original piece of pattern paper that we used to create the shape of the bracket on the flat stock, I'm willing to put that on a 1/2" grid board and post in this thread for folks to copy.

I really don't have the capability to make these for sale. I had to rely on a good log term friend who is a master machinists to help me make these parts. I was the match maker that set him up with his wife and they are still a hot item, so he has been help me out in return.

Now if anyone needs a wife.................. I might be able to help there, but you'll owe me, unless of course it doesn't work out ............Then your on your own, and no I don't take them back.

Comment

Couple more shots of the bike to help shake off the cold, 8 more weeks and we'll be riding again (in the north east)

Comment

Working...
                              X