Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 GS750T dual disc up front conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS750T dual disc up front conversion.

Greetings, I just found the GS site and have a 1982 GS750T project bike I'm working on for the summer. I'd like to convert from one to two discs up front. I have all that I need but the right lower fork that carries the brake caliper. Has anyone made this conversion or what other GS model with dual discs up front has forks that will swap out with the 750t forks? Thanks for any input.

You'll need both fork legs as the caliper mounting points are different on the single disk model.
    You could run your larger disk on one side & the smaller disk on the other & only change one fork leg (It has been done before, Billy Oliver from memory), that would give you slightly more power but a slightly odd look.

If you change both fork legs you could run the Kawasaki Twinpot calipers & utilise your existing disk & get a 2nd one the same size for the other side - the increase in power is pretty amazing Do a search on that. I have the brackets to make it all work.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

easy money

just get forks that have duel disk and put right were the old ones were mine were off a 83 1100gl, all of the forks from any gs will fit in your triple tree the best thing to do is get the front end use the wheel froks and master . loosen your triple trees take the fork out and slide the new double disk set right in there it should take 20 min

Comment

I want the two discs up front to be the same. Knowing that the GS series forks are interchangeable is huge. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Hmmm... My never ending project begs for such a modification...
          2010 Honda VFR1200F
          1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
          Being Revisited
          1981 Honda CM400T
          http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Originally posted by archer52dhm View Post
            I want the two discs up front to be the same. Knowing that the GS series forks are interchangeable is huge. Thanks for the info.
            They are not, there are different diameters and lengths.
            Your 750 should have 35mm fork tubes if it is like the earlier ones.
            850s and bigger are 37mm.

I have a 750 with one single disc fork leg, one leg made for dual brakes.

It has two of the smaller dual brake discs, it works fine, you can't tell unless you know where to look.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

^yup...just find the 35mm fork legs. I've got calipers and rotors if you need them.

Comment

OK. Is there a GS model that I can use to cleanly swap out the front forks to accomplish my goal? Also, where can I find the diameter specs for the different model forks?

Comment

Try this link:

An interesting, romantic and at the same time very dangerous profession attracts not only men, but also women

Comment

Working...
                  X