Adding another front end to the potential upgrade list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding another front end to the potential upgrade list

FZR600's have a very similar steering stem length and matching bearing sizes as the '81 GS750. I'll try to swap out later this week just for the sake of confirmation, but I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Just sharing...FZR600's don't have inverted forks but they do have a pretty good suspension.

what year?

Hmmmm.. Wonder if they would be the same as YZF600. I know where there is a 95 Yzf6 with a blown trans I might be able to get on the cheep.

Comment

different part numbers but I can't confirm sizes...it took an act of God to find the sizes for the FZR

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
        FZR600's have a very similar steering stem length and matching bearing sizes as the '81 GS750. I'll try to swap out later this week just for the sake of confirmation, but I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Just sharing...FZR600's don't have inverted forks but they do have a pretty good suspension.
        Don't have any complaints about the suspension on my '92 FZR. Even with a leaky seal its still a firm enough ride with decent feedback. and still enough give on bumpy city streets.

Comment

Do you have a pic of the front end?

Comment

Not of the one in the shop...or not at the moment...but this is what it is, essentially...

Off one of these...

May look a bit dinky at 38mm, but they're pretty damn good forks, especially when you can get the forks and triples for $100 every day and, if you built relocating brackets for the calipers, you could use your stock GS wheel without too much drama.

Comment

'89 to '97 GSX 600/750 Katana is a known EASY swap. 41mm tubes, very good four piston calipers, great ground clearance, cheap and plentiful. And they are SUZUKI parts.
              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

And why would you want to keep a skinny (and HEAVY) stock wheel? Might as well keep the stock forks then. Bias-ply tires are for bicycles....

Comment

Really? That's awesome, too...can you buy the whole front end for $100?

Here's the thing...it's an option. Not the option; just an option.

And if you'll look around, I don't want to keep the wheel. I ditched the stock wheels a while ago. Some people WANT the stock look.

Comment

Paco...a little research tells me that the thundercat uses the same steering stem as the FZR...so, same swap.

Comment

Thanks for th info.
                      As you say this adds another option to the thoughts I have about doing something like this to one of my GS'

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                        Really? That's awesome, too...can you buy the whole front end for $100?

Here's the thing...it's an option. Not the option; just an option.

And if you'll look around, I don't want to keep the wheel. I ditched the stock wheels a while ago. Some people WANT the stock look.
                        Yes, I've gotten whole running examples for less than $500. Yes I understand that, I'd rather have Suzuki parts on a Suzuki. Most people, just about all of them, even Suzuki owners looking at my ES think those are the stock parts....

Comment

I've found the bikes for free, but that doesn't mean everyone has room for a whole bike. And, buying parts, it's simply not seen very often that you can buy the forks, triples, wheel, axle, calipers, rotors, clip-ons, fender, master, and lines for $100...where as all you got to do is check out one of the FZR forums to get the full setup.

Also, the FZR forks and brakes are, simply put, higher performing parts...they were superior to anything Suzuki was using, sans the inverted Showas, until the mid 90's.

Lastly, your forks weren't made by Suzuki anymore than mine were made by Yamaha. Hell, the clamps on the FZR aren't even made my Yamaha.

Comment

Good info Makezie. Since this is my first chop project Im still in the dark about what will and what wont swap out. Just knowing is half the battle.

Comment

Okay I got the front end mounted up and here are the issues:

You WILL have to have new headlight ears.

You WILL have to add an 8mm spacer under the lower bearing on the steering stem.

There are NO TABS for mounting your gauges.

Aside that, even the ignition cylinder bolts up.

Here's a good example:

Comment

Working...
                              X