Coil relocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil relocation

While getting my Katana running I was stunned by the heat coming off the cylinder head, it got so hot at one point it boiled one of the coils. Any excuse to buy stuff meant a set of Dyna coils were in my sweaty palms the next day, but I got to thinking is the original position the best place for a piece of electrical equipment? So I set about relocating them.

Should work well there. Might be a good idea to place some washers under your tapered allen bolts to save cutting into the alloy. More pics please. I.E. the pipe and cooler setup. Is it twin or mono shock? Brembo radial master cylinder and thumb back brake, How much dosh that own u already.? Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

It's been pretty well whoared to death now but here you go, and I gave up counting the pennies a long time ago.

Comment

your engine heat did NOT cook your coil. I'd bet a months worth of paychecks! if the heat came from the engine the rubber plugs in the cooling fins would go liquid first- it appears that they are still there. body plastic has the lowest melting point also very close to the engine. the fuel tank is sooo close to the massive heat source too... are you vapor locking as well? those oil hoses right on the cylinders hmmmm. no no no.

sorry but I live in a no tweaking zone- and - well nevermind

leaving the key on and the ignition circuit energized WILL cook a coil from the inside out in less than 45 minutes. melted body, blisters, internal short out and all

aircooled angines may have 400 degree oil temperatures in the summer heat and traffic. this has been considered by the engineers and designers. the engine skin temperature and the coil temperatures are too high for naked hand checking.

either way it is your bike and your time. but engine temperature did not do what you have stated.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

All I know is there was oil coming out the high tension side. Thanks for the input, sorry that you don't appreciate what I have done.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveA View Post
            All I know is there was oil coming out the high tension side. Thanks for the input, sorry that you don't appreciate what I have done.
            i do mate. stunning looking kat you got there, and whether the coil repositioning helps or not, theres no harm in it and gives you a bit more room under the tank. good work
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Steve - you've absolutely ruined that bike and it's now only worth £100. Being a generous sort I'll help you out and offer you a tad more

Seriously, in my opinion you've knocked together a cracker with the mix of old and modern combining spot on.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I don't think I'd ever get tired of looking at that bike. Nice.

Comment

Looks nice, but I don't know about the constant twisting of the plug wires.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                    Lynn they are mounted to the fairing bracket, they dont turn with the tripples.

Dink

Comment

Why would the wires twist?? the coils don't move.

Comment

That's the Kat's meow there, such a sweet bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
                          Lynn they are mounted to the fairing bracket, they dont turn with the tripples.

Dink
                          Originally posted by SteveA View Post
                          Why would the wires twist?? the coils don't move.
                          Look again, Lynn, the headlight on that Kat is mounted on its own subframe and does not turn with the bars.
                          The coils appear to be mounted to the same subframe, so there would be no twisting of the wires.

I sort of agree with trippivot in that the heat from the engine did not cause your failure, but I also have to add that, in general, heat and electronics just don't mix well, so keeping them cooler by relocating them should be better in the long run. Nice work, thanks for the pics.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok. just looked like they were mounted to the tripples

Comment

Working...
                            X