Looking for the right way to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for the right way to...

Shorten a set of 1982 forks. I have a project bike Im turning into a cruiser/bobber/chopper/whatever is cool this week term. Its a budget build but that doesnt mean Im looking for the easy way as much as the correct way to lower a set. Ive seen how a builder did his on an XS650 and from his photo compared to my service manual, it looks different. The 2 main reasons Im lowering the front is due to the 21" front wheel. Ive already raked the front as much as I plan to, 41*. Just want to keep the bike level and looking like it was redesign the correct way.

Thanks

Oh and if all you have is a link to someone who knew someone with a link to a tutoral, Im good with that. Even though I went to public school, I can read and enjoy it.

Hi Hammered! Call me tomorrow at 714-356-7845 & I will set you up on your frontend lowering. Ray.

Comment

Good thing that Ray can tell you, because I was going to say that it would be a problem.

Having a larger wheel in the forks already puts the tire an inch closer to the triple trees, and you want to lower the bike and make it even closer?
      Like I said, good thing Ray has an idea.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

put a spacer under the inner lower dampening rod. may have to cut the spring but you need to maintain a inch or two positive spring length above the tube end

terribly simple.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Sorry Ray I didnt get to call. Been busy a.k.a. distracted. Ill have to make that call at a later date, work related issues have put the build on hold. But once again, thank you for the reply.

Comment

Working...
          X