650 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650 project

I’m in the middle of this project and thought id share it with the group and see what people think. Note its my first bike I bought it running fine for $700 last summer and loved it so I decided to take it apart. Here is the jist of it.
    82 gs650GL

The goal is to have a bike I like to look at and is fun to ride around town with my friends.

The bikes condition is ok but it had a couple dents in the tank and was painted a burgundy red over the factory blue. I stripped all the paint, bondoed the dents and have it sanded and primed now along with the side covers. I dint like the emblems on the side covers so I bondoed the holes and sanded it smooth. Ill paint it all black with PJ1 epoxy paint and a good couple clear coats when it warms up. I pulled the old tires off the wheels and sanded them down/wire brush them washed it all up with laquor thinner and they are also in primer now and will be black with everything that was bare aluminum red and clear coated.
    I hate the "L" curser bars that were on it so I tested the fit of a buddy’s drag bars on it and liked it so a pair is on the way. that’s about it for the looks department.

As for the mechanics, I didn’t like that it sounded like a space ship with the factory exhaust. Not to bad but you know, the options for exhaust are limited and didn’t want to pay for the MAC if its not too great so I chopped the stock exhaust at a slant behind the passenger peg mounting bracket. I was happy to find that that is where the baffle starts and a good place looking clean enough. I may throw a baffle in there if its too much and I kind of expect that. I removed the carbs to see that they are in pretty good shape so im not going to fully rebuild them but just get the dynojet stage 3 kit and do as little as possible for inside work and see what the results are. When I removed the carbs I made a immediate decision to not put the air box back in and instead go with pods so I can easily remove the carbs to tune them as needed.

For the suspension and handling I have a new set of Bridgestone spitfires on the way(it had hockey pucks on it when I got it). im chopping 1" or 1 1/2" of the front fork springs to drop it down a little from the L stance it has now. painting the lower forks black shortening front and rear fenders a bit, new sleek tail light and blinkers. If I have the extra cash ill throw new rear shocks on it in the future.

After that there are a few general maintenance issues like new oil pan gasket that is leaking a little and new break pads I have the parts for but need the wheels back on it first. Oh and one worry is that I broke the head of one exhaust bolt off during removal I soaked it and heated it up with no luck so ill need to take it to a friends shop to have him pull it.

So far taking the thing apart has been fun and easy. I hope its all comes back together the same. if people care enough to look at pictures ill charge up my camera.

Thanks.

What kind of carbs do you have, because pods do not enhance performance on alot of carb models. I know on the cv26 carbs and the like they DO work

Comment

carbs

CV I believe. if someone can confirm that of a 82GS650GL , that would be great. ??? I’m not too concerned with the performance I just don’t want to deal with the air box again and I like the look too. one thing im worried about is the chance of water on a rainy ride. Any input?

Comment

do a search for 550's pods and water. the 550 and the 650 are pretty much identical and yes switching to pods on a 650, rain will be a problem. Also, DON"T CHEAP OUT, the 550 was a real pain in the butt to get working right with cheap emgo and the like pods. Get what ever pods K&N spec, you will probably have to search useing the 650 E model (same motor)
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

emgo pods worked for me but then again what can you do to make a 77 gs750 not run right?

Comment

If you still have stock exhaust, it should say its for a GL on the side of the exhaust. Mine does.

Comment

you have cv carbs any gs newer then 1980 runs cv's. Pretty sure they are bs32's. Just from my experiences the 550 and i assume the 650 are very sensitive on the carb side of things and filters do matter for these model especially.
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by ktp1598 View Post
                If you still have stock exhaust, it should say its for a GL on the side of the exhaust. Mine does.
                yes i have the stock gl exhaust but i cut it down a bit. That was never an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by mpls-ugly View Post
                  yes i have the stock gl exhaust but i cut it down a bit. That was never an issue.
                  You should have mikuni CV carbs. That's stock. If you go with pods you'll probably have to rejet the carbs...especially if you have changed the exhaust at all. They are very suceptable to changes in the airflow even if what you're doing doesn't seem like it would make much difference.

The stock air box just isn't that hard to put on and off. Once you loosen the clamp screws the box slides back far enough to fit them out and if you put a little lube on the boots they will slide right back on.

I have a a trick for stubborn carbs that may help you. I wrap a ratcheting tie-down around the back of the carbs and hook it to the frame in front of the engine. Then I cynch the strap tight and wiggle the carbs while it's getting tighter. Pops them on every time. Then wiggle the air box boots on from the back and you're in.

No problem. And it's a lot cheaper than buying 4 $13.00 carb pods plus the $100 jet kit to make it all work.

Comment

I am committed at this point

[QUOTE=LarryA_Texas;959386]You should have mikuni CV carbs. That's stock. If you go with pods you'll probably have to rejet the carbs...especially if you have changed the exhaust at all. They are very suceptable to changes in the airflow even if what you're doing doesn't seem like it would make much difference.

The stock air box just isn't that hard to put on and off. Once you loosen the clamp screws the box slides back far enough to fit them out and if you put a little lube on the boots they will slide right back on.

I have a a trick for stubborn carbs that may help you. I wrap a ratcheting tie-down around the back of the carbs and hook it to the frame in front of the engine. Then I cynch the strap tight and wiggle the carbs while it's getting tighter. Pops them on every time. Then wiggle the air box boots on from the back and you're in.

No problem. And it's a lot cheaper than buying 4 $13.00 carb pods plus the $100 jet kit to make it all work.[/QUOTE

Nice trick on the carbs. Im fine with the rejet and have a dynojet stage 3 kit on order and chopped the pipes already. I will need some help when it comes to the jet kit but im doing my research now. For me all this is a learning process. If i learn the ins and out of the carbs and bikes in general threw this it will be worth more to me than the posable gains. Its February in minnesota i got time to experiment. I do appreciate the input. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mpls-ugly View Post
                      . For me all this is a learning process. If i learn the ins and out of the carbs and bikes in general threw this it will be worth more to me than the posable gains. Its February in minnesota i got time to experiment. I do appreciate the input. Thanks!
                      Ok...then one more thing to read:

Since you're going to experiment with carb tuning, you might as well get ready for an education.

Comment

why buy a jet kit? the jets are two bucks a piece!!!!!

Comment

jet kit

I thought the same thing about the jet kit and decided that i could order it, look at it all and decide if it was the way to go or just order jets individually and return the kit. I think there is a little more than just 4 jets in a jet kit. I know that the kit will get me in the ballpark and i will need to make adjustments after that but i think its a good place to start. Anyone have experience just changing the main jets alone when going to pods and a open exhaust??

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
                            Ok...then one more thing to read:

Since you're going to experiment with carb tuning, you might as well get ready for an education.
                            Great information!! Just skimming threw it i can tell i have some issues as is. The bike is just a dog until it really warms up. I need to get into this a bit deeper before i can real identify the current state and maybe that will help when it comes to changing things. Thanks for the link!!

Comment

i have a 4to1 exhaust with pods on the cv26 carbs. I have 110 mains and the needle up a clip, same pilots. This is on a 750

Comment

Working...
                              X