to jet or not to jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to jet or not to jet

I'm debating about weather or not to put a stage 3 jet kit in my 1980 gs1100e. I bought the bike with a 4-1 V&H and K&N pods. It's not going to be raced or dragged but I'm not sure if I'm getting the most out of it regarding the pipe and pods.

If I put the kit in I'm assuming I have to rebuild the carbs (which I'm not against) and am wondering where to get the re-build kit. Would it be best to go through Suzuki or is there a manufacturer which is reccomended?

Also since the bike will be producing more power and as a result more heat, should I install an oil cooler? Any suggestions about which cooler i.e. Jegs, Earls, etc will be appreicated. I noticed my bike has 2 holes drilled into the block on either side of the oil filter cap. I'm assuming this is for the oil cooler but would like to be sure.

Check main jets

The jet kit is probably already in it. .

If teh 4;1 and pods are already installed than more than likely someone did the jetting as well.

If you have some 130-132 U are already there. Stock Mikuni are something like 107.5 [EDITED for 80-81] check the manual to be sure.

Pos
    Last edited by posplayr; 02-26-2009, 04:33 PM.

Comment

stock jets are 110 or 115 depending on the year. If you are going to do the carbs, DO NOT BUY REBUILD KITS! Buy an o-ring kit from www.cycleorings.com and bowl gaskets from www.z1enterprises.com The rebuild kits are a waste unless your stock parts are excessively worn.

Comment

If you go into the carbs you'll know real quick if a kit has been installed. Stock needles only have one groove, jet kit needles have 5 or 6. If it pulls clean and hard with no popping then you more than likely already have a kit installed. It would run lean if not. And as far as an oil cooler, it's always a good idea, but pods, jet kit, and pipe aren't going to raise the heat level significantly.

Comment

At what point did the US bikes get non-adjustable needles? My Canadian spec 82 1100E still had adjustable needles stock and I was just wondering when the US locked them up?

Mark

Comment

Can't answer for certain without looking at a few fiche, but I suspect when they went to CV carbs.

Comment

Working...
            X