Replacing airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing airbox

I'm thinking of replacing my airbox with a K&N pod system or something similar. After taking a closer look at what it would involve on my 82 gs850, I see a hose running from the airbox to the engine. I'm assuming it's a vacuum line. Anybody know what I need to do with that?

Originally posted by jarvisloop View Post
    I'm thinking of replacing my airbox with a K&N pod system or something similar. After taking a closer look at what it would involve on my 82 gs850, I see a hose running from the airbox to the engine. I'm assuming it's a vacuum line. Anybody know what I need to do with that?
    IMHO you need to leave it on the airbox and leave the airbox on the motorcycle. More so than any other motorcycle I am aware of, including the other GS's, the 850 wants its stock fuel intake and exhaust systems. The odds that you would get a better all around motorcycle after many, many hours of trial and error are not very good based on numerous reports of attempts here on the forum over the years. If you really want to do pods, trade or sell to get one of the 16 valve models, 750-1150. Even some of the other 8 valve models are a tad less finicky about keeping the factory configuration. If you attempt it; keep all of the original parts, jets, hoses, clamps, etc. in a safe place.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
    Last edited by dpep; 03-08-2009, 12:39 PM.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

From what I've learned along the way I would agree. The factory configuration would almost always be the best. The Bike I got last year already has the stock pipes removed and a 4 in 1 put in its place, something I would not have done. But it has been done, and the bike does not breathe properly. So I'm hoping putting on the air pods will help with this problem.
      I'm getting a carb cleaning done anyway, and the mechanic will rejet as neccesary.

Comment

It can be done, thru lots of trial and error. FIRST you need a set of K&N pods and a K&N jet kit. The big hose from the breather -Need to put a filter on it

Comment

Working...
        X