Opinions for TM33's on my 700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions for TM33's on my 700

What do you guys think about putting TM33's on my gs700. I have a chance to get a nice set. Are they too big/small or good or? how do they perform? obviously better than stock but.

Thanks

I'm running RS34 flatslides on my 700 and they work great so 33s should be fine. Back when the '83 and up 700/750 models were new the hot ticket was VM29s.

Comment

this is what i found about tm33's

"The TM33 is produced as a stock carb for performance DR350 models. It has since become a popular carburettor to fit to KX's and other smaller 4-stroke singles, Junior Dragsters, older British twins etc."

I didn't know you could get a rack of 4?

Usually they are for singles. If one tm33 feeds a 350, that seems to much for 1 of you pistons, about double the fuel of what your 700 needs. 700/4=175 I would look for a carb that feeds something from a 175cc to a 200cc cylinder.

maybe some cr29's or something?

*Edit
      I guess i stand corrected. Experience over guesstimating wins every time, I was close with my cr29 recomendations....
      Last edited by first timer; 03-10-2009, 05:31 PM.
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Extremely rare if they are a true factory racked set of four!
        I'd jump on them in a heartbeat. Here's a link: http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Mikun...9eec47c2e583c5

NorCalSuperF

Comment

You will be MUCH better off with the 29s over the 33s unless you are going bigger pistons, cams, & porting. Ray.

Comment

Ray,

Are you talking about the TM29s v. TM33s?

I have some VM33s about to go on a 700E, and just curious. I would think round slides should be okay.

What do you think?

Thanks

Eric

Comment

I think VM33s are going to be too big for a 700 unless it has had serious work done to it. VM29s would be a better choice.
              The Three Horsemen
              '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
              '83 GS1100ES
              ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
              Porkchop Express

Comment

Thanks for the reply Greg.

We shall see how she likes them.

Hmmmm....

I might get a set of 29s to do a comparison.

I will be running a LM1/LMA3 set-up to collect the tuning data.

Then it will be time to do some serious work to her.

Comment

I think he would have been okay with them. They were the predecessor to the RS series and I run RS34s on my 700. You definitely have to learn to roll the throttle but you want to anyway to take advantage of the accelerator pumps. When rolled my bike pulls cleanly from as low as 2500 rpm without downshifting. It's no slug down that low from being overcarbed. They leave you plenty of room to build on.

Comment

The RS34s would be in close relation to the TM33s given they are flat slides.

Seems, you are pleased with the RS34s.

I have not worked with the RS series, but have used TMs.

From tuning smaller thumper engines it always seemed to be better to go with a smaller aperture on the TM flat slide as they always seem to flow a bit more. Say a 30mm round slide OEM carb on a 200cc engine going to a TM28mm seemed to be best choice.

On VM round slides for the most part in that application, going to a VM32/33 removed the sook,sook,sook sound out of the intake, and it would pull much better in comparison to a VM30.

These were mechanical slides across the board though. I'm not real familiar with CV carbs, other than I don't care for them given the feel of the response when the throttle is popped. A conversion from a CV carb to a mechanical slide may have different dynamics in relation. The OEMs are 32mm, 33/34mm just doesn't seem to be that much bigger.

But, that is why I came here to gain some more knowledge on the subject.

Comment

Working...
                    X