Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fork swap-GS1100Ex with...what's best???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork swap-GS1100Ex with...what's best???

Sorry if this has been discussed to the Nth degree, but I can't find an exact answer. 1982 1100Ex with minor fork tubr bend, and apparently bent triple clamp. Since other front ends will fit, which ones work the best? Won't be doing any track time or hardcore backroad strafing...mostly commuting. But a cool look wouldn't be too bad. What are your collective thoughts? Thanks in advance!

GSX-R1100 USD, the newer the better. The 1100 forks are said to be longer than the 750s. Get an entire setup from one model to keep things simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
      GSX-R1100 USD, the newer the better. The 1100 forks are said to be longer than the 750s. Get an entire setup from one model to keep things simple.
      Those are getting very hard to come by now. I have a set and the lowers need new hard chrome. (found that out when I got them) Better yet, I should get new, longer sliders so that I can use the clip-ons on top of the triples.

You're right though, they are longer, and they are just long enough if you use a different set of bars.

Comment

The Katana 1100 forks work well also & are a bolt on. Much more common than & cheaper than GSXR USDs. Ray.

Comment

They're right, the GSXR1100 front ends are getting VERY hard to come by. I did my conversion last year, and I didn't find a good set for months. PM 80GS1000 and ask him what year GSXR750 forks he used. They were 2004+ and are working out well for him.

Comment

1982 GS1100EX?
            1982 was a Z
            1981 was a X

2 Different front ends In between the two.

Comment

Fork swap-GS1100Ex

What a Knucklehead I am...remember to proofread...GS1100Ez...NOT Ex. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Comment

Everything still applies. Some of the newer forks will involve ordering a different upper bearing but there aren't any installation problems that can't be worked around.

Comment

Fork swap-GS1100Ez

Thanks for all of the info! It sure is great to have this Resource for honest, reliable feedback.

Comment

if you are going with usd's gsxr1100wp are the longest i believe due to the clipons being mounted above the top yoke & i'm pretty sure they are a direct bolt in to your frame

"katana" forks will also work but some models have a 16" front wheel & parts will be difficult to get as not much is interchangable with gsxr parts

A good compromise for lenght, looks & usability would be a bandit 12 complete front end you could then use a 4.5 wheel in the rear to match the front easilly or with a bit more work a 5.5

cheers tone

Comment

Working...
                    X