bandit fork mod to 81 gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bandit fork mod to 81 gs1100e

i have looked around to see if there was any info in the thread but have not found any. has anyone ever put a 1200 bandit fork assembly on any gs1100??? i plan on making mods to my 81 in the future and was thinking if i put the bandit rear swing arm on it then maybe the bandit forks too. i've seen gixxer front on the 1100 but think i would prefer common year and model between the front and rear. all comments and suggestions are appreciated. thanks

Originally posted by schlyme View Post
    i have looked around to see if there was any info in the thread but have not found any. has anyone ever put a 1200 bandit fork assembly on any gs1100??? i plan on making mods to my 81 in the future and was thinking if i put the bandit rear swing arm on it then maybe the bandit forks too. i've seen gixxer front on the 1100 but think i would prefer common year and model between the front and rear. all comments and suggestions are appreciated. thanks
    Should bolt right up, might have to change the lower bearing but nothing more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by liloaty View Post
      Should bolt right up, might have to change the lower bearing but nothing more than that.
      I think not
      bottom bearing to suit is not available here in the uk as far as i'm aware, steering stems are different lengths & lockstops do not match up & steering lock also needs modifying

None of which is much of a problem btw

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
        I think not
        bottom bearing to suit is not available here in the uk as far as i'm aware, steering stems are different lengths & lockstops do not match up & steering lock also needs modifying

None of which is much of a problem btw
        The steering stem is a different length?!?! I never would have guessed that. My fault. As far as the bearing goes - it can't be that hard to get one shipped to the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by liloaty View Post
          The steering stem is a different length?!?! I never would have guessed that. My fault. As far as the bearing goes - it can't be that hard to get one shipped to the UK?
          Its easier for me simply to swap the steering stems, £10 to me for use of the press then i can use stock & easilly available off the shelf bearings

One thing to be aware of if considering this way of doing things is that even though both bikes use a stem with a nominal size of 30mm (through the yoke) the gs one usually comes in just under & the b12 one spot on or just over (interfearance fit) therefore the gs stem MAY need knurling to take up the slack, still only £10 lol if this is the case i usually also drill & roll pin the yoke/stem

hope that explains my first post a little more mate

Comment

Front and rear ends

Originally posted by schlyme View Post
            Bandit forks are OK but the upside down gixxer forks are far superior in strength and with progressive suspension springs make your bike handle better. The gixxer forks in my mind also look much better.

Gixxer front ends just bolt right on with no mods. The bigger Suzuki bikes from '78 to '92 mostly have the same measurements on the front end. I bolted on a 92 gixxer front end, and an '83 1100 rear end (No mods). I welded the brake stay upside down on the bottom of the swingarm so a 160 rear tire could also just bolt right on. Both wheels are off an '89 gixxer. There were no problems with sprockets and chain, everything lined up perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleblue View Post
              Bandit forks are OK but the upside down gixxer forks are far superior in strength and with progressive suspension springs make your bike handle better. The gixxer forks in my mind also look much better.

Gixxer front ends just bolt right on with no mods. The bigger Suzuki bikes from '78 to '92 mostly have the same measurements on the front end. I bolted on a 92 gixxer front end, and an '83 1100 rear end (No mods). I welded the brake stay upside down on the bottom of the swingarm so a 160 rear tire could also just bolt right on. Both wheels are off an '89 gixxer. There were no problems with sprockets and chain, everything lined up perfectly.

Doubleblue,

Do you have a pic of the chain side? your bike looks fantastic btw!!

jw
              Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2009, 09:57 PM.

Comment

doubleblue

Very nice setup. I don't normally like color coordinated wheel but yours really picks up the light blue on the tank and trim.

Since you are running 160 I assume that is a 4.5"x17" rear wheel?

Is that a 750 fork or 1100 fork?

do you have a lose up of how you did the handle bars, clocks and steering stops?

Pos

Comment

Other view

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                  Doubleblue,

Do you have a pic of the brake side? your bike looks fantastic btw!!

jw
                  You mean the chain side.... here it is...

Comment

Originally posted by doubleblue View Post
                    You mean the chain side.... here it is...

Very Nice!!! Kinda pricey but a set of gold/black Ohlins would look killer on this thing..

Comment

Some good tricks....

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Very nice setup. I don't normally like color coordinated wheel but yours really picks up the light blue on the tank and trim.

Since you are running 160 I assume that is a 4.5"x17" rear wheel?

Is that a 750 fork or 1100 fork?

do you have a lose up of how you did the handle bars, clocks and steering stops?

Pos
                      The rear wheel is off an '89 slingshot gixxer and yes it's 4.5" x 17". It's an 1100 fork. I don't have a picture of the bar set-up but I drilled through the gixxer triple clamp and installed 1200 Bandit bar mounts and Tomascelli low rise bars. I kept the stock speedometer and tack but because I'm running smaller wheels (17") the speedo is off by almost 12%. So when it reads 120 you're doing about 135. I had to weld in steering stops so the forks wouldn't hit the tank.

The trick with colored wheels is to half polish and half paint/powder coat. I don't like the whole wheel a solid color. Hope that helps. The half and half trick is very popular in Europe.

Comment

[QUOTE=doubleblue;977501]Bandit forks are OK but the upside down gixxer forks are far superior in strength and with progressive suspension springs make your bike handle better. The gixxer forks in my mind also look much better.

[/QUOTE

are the 83 and 81 swingarms the same???? if so i can keep my swingarm. all i have to do is the caliper thing you did and the gixxer forks . i save that for when i have somewhere to work on this beast i can't wait

Comment

Doubleblue: How did you mount your guages?

Comment

Doubleblue,

That bike is off the chain playa!!!!! please post more pics of the front and rear.

Peace!, Supavert

Comment

Your bike is absolutely stunning. Well done. I could only hope to ever pull off something like that. I'm debating about going with vibrant colors or the Satin black motif. Again super nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X