Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

manual cable to hydraulic clutch mod

Hey Guys,

Was wondering if anyone on here ever tried to change their cable operated clutch over to a hydraulic type? If so, how did you go about it? I got a couple of ideas in my head..but hope someone has already worked it out.

Me's just curious cause I got a set of barnett springs that I had to take back out and put new OE ones in, cause I could not pull the clutch in more than 1 time...and it hurt my hand...

To tell you the truth the pull on my cable actuated 700 is lighter than the hydraulic GSXR clutch.

Comment

There is an article on how to do this on the Yamaha XS1100 site. I think that is where I saw it.

Comment

Found it!!!

OK. Here it is I managed to find it. There are also many other good articles on this site.

Comment

Cool article Don, but that one is bike specific as you know... very cool reading anyways......My GS doesnt have the cover plate over the clutch. I would think the clutch cover will need to be left alone. The mod would have to be 100% external. I was thinking about making a bracket and mounting the slave to it and leaving the arm on the clutch where the cable attaches, but instead of the cable it would be a rod going to the slave. The problem is I would have to mount the arm 180 out from where it is now to make it a pusher instead of a puller type....which I guess aint a problem. Then its where to attach the bracket that will hold the slave?....It would need to be attached very well to the motor.

hmmm...

Comment

Yeah, I know that article is bike specific. Just thought it might give you some ideas. My clutch mechanism is inside the left covers where the drive sprocket for the back chain is and your mechanism is inside the right hand clutch cover. I know how I would do it on my bike, but it would be much harder to conceal the slave, etc. on your model. You could change to the 550 actuating method if that would work. Just a thought.

Comment

of course quality may be questionable but one of these might work.

Comment

Hey Don, yeah it would seem your setup might lend itself to the mod a bit easier. Thanks for the info.

Hey 76f, I have never seen anything like that before....I agree about the quality...I would not trust that thing as far as I could spit a dead rat.

But maybe I could try and find a small puller type hydraulic cylinder like the one the have in the pic.

Comment

Would a hydraulically-actuated clutch be any improvement? I frequently come up with ideas I then decide would be of no particular value. I'm not saying that's the case with a hydraulic clutch mod, just wondering if the effort/reward ratio would be worth it.
                  1979 GS 1000

Comment

Clutch swap

I'm planning on going the other way Hydro>Mech... I think I get a better feel or feedback with the mechanical system and the biggest plus is adjustability... no adjustment I know of in the hydro system.

Comment

Any mod would need to be utterly reliable. The cable system is pretty solid, as long as you inspect the cable ends from time to time. I broke my clutch cable 165 miles from home on a Sunday afternoon and limped back with no clutch.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

My only reason for thinking about it, is to use a stiffer barnett spring setup that would make the clutch grab better. I tried to install the barnett springs when I did the clutch set up. I could not pull it in. If I had a hydr clutch master it would barely notice the difference with a braided clutch line installed.
                        The new stock springs I ended up putting in my bike are ok and not giving me any trouble, but it does feel like it slips a bit sometimes...and everything is adjusted right and everything is new...with the exception of the clutch basket itself..

thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                        X