No announcement yet.

Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot depends on what bars etc you have fitted. It'll be somewhere around 29" from memory with the one going over the mudguard about 16". I run the double banjo on the RHS caliper.

Or if you go for 2 lines from top (double banjo at the MC) I think it'll be about 29" & 31".

The one / two from master can be an inch or two long... you can hide it behind the headlight. YOu can't do that with one that loops over the fender though!

Don't forget you need to allow for full fork extension...

Everyone who has sent paypal so far had parcels on their way to them last Thursday.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I got mine in the mail yesterday. Im running an EMGO front fairing on mine so I think Ill run double-banjo to the MC since it'll be pretty well hidden. 29" and 31" sounds like it makes sense.

-Matt

Comment

Cool.. let us know how it works out
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Well apparently this mod does NOT work on an L model. Thankfully I have a set of 850 forks and tripple that I was planning on swapping anyway, but I don't have the head bearings nor both wheel spacers. :-(

Comment

Correct... This mod does not work on the Leading axle forks that feature on the L, T & certain 82 E models.

Let me know what size your wheel spacers needed are, I may have a set off a GS1000 parts bike... You may well find they are the same as the L.

Head bearings should be the same.

I definitely have a set of Triples (GS1000E or 83GS1100E) around, likely with good bearings in them.

I didn't pick up on the fact that you have an L model. Use the forum mostly on my phone these days so the sig pics are tiny & you don't have any L models in the text there. Sorry about that.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

No worries, I already ordered the parts I need, I should have asked PRIOR to going down this road. Oh well, like I said I already had plans to replace the leading axle forks anyway. Of course now I'll have to tune the front suspension again.

Comment

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Processed Through Sort Facility
                AUSTRALIA March 13, 2014 2:10 pm
                Awesome. Will only be running one side for a while, the bike is not even running yet.

Comment

Be aware that you do need the Dual disk model fork leg to do that... The single brake models (GS550/GS1000C etc) had a bigger rotor from stock & the caliper mount is higher up the leg. The only exception is the twins (450 etc)

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Yep, checked it all out. The 750B has the same 292mm rotor as the rest.

Comment

I measured them at 294mm but we won't argue over that...

The dual brake bikes have 274mm disks & it's the fork leg that goes with that disk that you want.

It won't fit on a single brake model 750's fork leg.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Thanks Salty, that is what I get for look up info on spec websites rather then asking here. Looks like I am up for a pair of fork lowers then. Lucky I have not had them powdered yet.

Might get a 310 disk and see if that will do the trick. Being that the single disk is 21mm larger than the dual disk.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2014, 09:57 PM.

Comment

There is also a 320mm CBR RR disk too... I have a set of Blackbird disks (310mm) on my shelf but no single brake fork leg to mock it up!

If anyone wants to send me a spare single disk fork leg from a 550/750B/1000C etc I will give it a go & report back

If you give me the centre to centre Axle to lower bolt hole & then the centre to centre between the bolt holes I should be able to get a 98% idea whether it will work on the CAD file...
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Should the spacers be on the inside of the rotors (wheel side), or outside of the rotor (strut side)? Does it matter? I drilled the rotors and mounted every thing. The kit is well worth the money.

Andy

Comment

Between the hub and the rotor
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Getting my brake lines made on Friday. Cannot wait.

Comment

Working...
                                X