No announcement yet.

Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generally the older bikes that have the riveted rotors don't need the dust cover trimming. (these rotors are thicker at the spider).

The newer bikes 1980+ that have single piece rotors do need the dust cover trimming.

Effectively the older dust cover is "already trimmed".

Phil - I believe in your case you are correct!

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks Dan, the kit arrived today and it looks great. I have the calipers already and the forks are on the way. I will be getting rotors and a master cylinder soon. I will post pictures when it's done but it may be a while yet.

Comment

Good stuff
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I was thinking of doing the twin disc upgrade on my 550. Would i be better off going with a twin pot caliper on one side or would i be better off getting 750 forks and running a twin disc stock system?

Comment

Ultimately you'd be better off getting some 650g fork legs & doing the Twinpot mod on both sides but you could also do the Blackbird Rotor & single Twinpot on one side. There is another post about that.

Probably as cheap as changing to a 750's fork if your current forks are decent & probably not a huge difference in brakes (stock twin verses Twinpot single).

1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

They turned up today, Salty. Thanks very much, they look the goods, indeed.

I'll get them on eventually and put up some pics.

Cheers
              Muz

Comment

After a heap of looking I have bought two calipers.

Being that ZX6 Calipers are hard to find in Australia I spend two hours searching through front brake calipers on ebay.

I came across the GPX250 2005 and GSX250F Across 1996 calipers which appear to be mirror images of each other, one for the left and one for the right.

Once they arrive I will take a few pictures and see how they fit. They appear to be identical to the other models.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2014, 10:17 PM.

Comment

This caliper conversion is popular with older Kwak owners too, and here's a list that was put up on a Kwak site

Not all the numbers are the same, so make of it what you will, but it's a starting point and if you google images of each model caliper / part number you will surely find something suitable.
                  Last edited by Grimly; 06-11-2014, 07:48 PM.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

What are the black tube spacers for? Not the rotor spacer, the other items you include with the kit. About 1" in length.

Comment

Goes between the bottom mounting hole in the caliper and Salty's bracket.

Comment

And are the kits supposed to come with hardware or no? Mine didn't.

Comment

mine didn't. I seem to remember a post from Salty that indicates he stopped providing the hardware as it was all easily obtained common hardware.

Comment

Agreed, you will find the correct bolts at Ace Hardware without an issue.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yep, I found everything needed. So my '79 GS750 had a single-piston single caliper setup which left a lot to be desired. There is a nice fellow on one of the Suzuki forums that makes brackets and spacers for a custom "bolt on" brake setup. I bought stuff for it over the past few months and finally got around to installing everything.

Quick rundown of everything I did:

- Bought Twin-Caliper GS750 forks
                              - Tore them down and rebuilt them
                              -- New seals, fluid, checked all tolerances
                              - Powdercoated gloss black
                              - Tore down '02 Kawasaki Concours Calipers
                              - Rebuilt with all new seals and pads
                              - Powdercoated metallic gold
                              - Redrilled CBR600F3 rotors
                              - Installed everything
                              - New SS lines
                              - New Nissin Master Cylinder w/ inline brake switch

Before:

On the lift:

New Seals:

Eww

Forks rebuilt and installed:

Tear down Concours calipers and powder:

Redrill CBR600 rotors to fit hub:

New vs. Old:

Bling

Wheel installed:

Tomorrow I have to wire in the inline brake switch and reinstall my fairing, set the bars in their right position, and add fluid. Then time for a test drive.

:w00t:

Comment

I didn't even think I'd need a new MC since Im coming from the single caliper setup. New Nissin MC on order after realizing my 14MM unit wouldnt cut it.

Comment

Working...
                                X