No announcement yet.

Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you're saying if I can, with the caliper assembled, feel side-to-side play in the caliper then I made need to look for a new set?

Matt

Comment

When you remove it, if you feel side to side slop in the caliper/bracket, then it's not good.
      The fit of the pins in the holes is what counts - if the holes aren't worn, but the pins are, you could get new pins. If the holes are badly worn, the bracket is likely scrap. Again, at 8K, I'd suppose they'd be ok. The main body of the caliper will be ok, though.
      This is a weakness of all sliding calipers and the ones on bikes, being alloy-bodied are more prone to it - car calipers in cast iron sharing the same design don't get it so badly.

However, however; having said all that - if you re-bleed and don't see any lost motion or rocking when you squeeze the brake lever, then let the pads bed in. It might just be necessary for components to wear to each other a little bit and what wear there is might be minor enough to not cause any problems.
      Last edited by Grimly; 07-01-2014, 08:51 PM.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

What other bikes share the same forks as the GS1000? I just bought a 1000C with single disc so, once again, I need to get new forks. I think the 850's are also 37mm so they should work, right?

Comment

I bought single-disc GS1000 forks with the aim of swapping the almost perfect stanchions over to my dual-disc lowers. 37mm is right, and as far as I can see, the length is the same. I'm just hoping there's no gotchas with it.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

You should be good. I did read in an old thread that the tripe tree spacing is different with dual disc bikes on the 1000...is this something i need to worry about doing the salty monk upgrade? I didnt swap an entire front on my 750 (just used dual disc forks on my original triples) so I find it hard to believe I need to swap an entire new front onto the 1000.

Comment

I am currently using 1983 GS1100E fork legs in my stock 78 1000 triples if that helps.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Was your bike originally single or dual?

Comment

Salty - do you have any brackets left? Tried sending a few PM's but haven't received a reply.

Thanks,
                  Matt

Comment

Yes - plenty left. Just been travelling a lot - Sorry! PM back.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Did some work on the 1000 today. Rebuilt fork lowers that Chuck Hahn sent me. Powder coated them, new seals, new fluid, new caps. Then I mounted up the CBR900RR rotors:

Mounted:

That's where I'm at right now. Tomorrow Im going to be installing the lines, calipers, pads, and taking her out for a spin.

Comment

Also - the 900RR rotors have the right bolt spacing but they just need widened a bit. I much prefer them to the CBR600 F3 rotors.

Comment

Still love the look of of dual rotor spoked wheels.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                            Another member of the Salty_Monk twinpot conversion team. I borrowed the stainless lines that were on it for another project but you get the drift.
                            I have not had the bike out so i cannot comment on the braking improvement, YET.

Is that a Kerker pipe?

Sharp ride. Spokers look sweet with twin drilled rotors.
                            Nice 'garage" as well...

Comment

So the 900rr rotors bolt right up to the wheels? What year 900rr also what year and model calipers should I be looking for on Ebay? Also, do I need a new master Cylinder?
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2014, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 06-8-ball View Post
                                So the 900rr rotors bolt right up to the wheels? What year 900rr also what year and model calipers should I be looking for on Ebay? Also, do I need a new master Cylinder?
                                I can't say for sure on the 900RR rotors, but it will be the early years when they were still 900's before the displacement started creeping up. There are a host of bikes that use those calipers, have a look at the EBC brake catalog for all the fitments. The calipers use pad #FA129, shown on page 250 of the catalog:

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/ecatalogues/2014-US-MC-Catalog/2014-us-mc-catalog.html

You shouldn't need a new M/C if you already have twin discs on your bike.

Mark
                                1982 GS1100E
                                1998 ZX-6R
                                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                                X