Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
    So, even if the surface area of both designs is the same...square inch wise...the stopping power is greater with the elongated pads verses the circle style? Ya lost me in the applied psychics.... but I do have to agree that the circle style brake pad isn't really used anymore....might be a reason for that.
    yes, correct. all of the surface area of the elongated pads is working on the larger effective rotor diameter area, whereas the round pads, half of the pad is effectively working on a much smaller diameter rotor, therefore has the effect of a much smaller diameter brake. factor in on top of that upgrading the front from 275 duals up to 296 duals, and it is very easy to see why this is a substantial braking upgrade!
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Haha - I've done that too... In the year plus that I ran these wheels not one person noticed.

I had one large diameter front brake and one small one for a year, and one was solid one was drilled. Can't even remember what was on the rear.
      No one notices things like that unless your in a bike show or something.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Chuck78- that does make sense!

tkent02- {chuckle}we must be different here then, we always scrutinize each others cycles...looks/speed/mods.....

Comment

Sorry, missed it. I was busy the last few days cleaning the garage.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I used Honda GL 1500 Valkyrie rotors for mine (1997-2003). They are nice because the bolt pattern is the same as stock, just need to enlarge holes to 8mm. They are a 296mm rotor. Also, the inner part of the rotors are Aluminum, so they drill very easily. They are a little different look than the CBR rotors, I like 'em. All clearances were fine with Salty's kit.

Regards,
            Jason

Comment

CrazyCloud, now that's different, and in a good way!

Comment

Jason can you post a pic of the whole bike showing the new set-up.
                Very different look.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Full shot for you Steve. I'll try to replace it with a better one when I get a chance.
                  Last edited by CrazyCloud; 09-13-2015, 10:10 PM.
                  Regards,
                  Jason

Comment

That pic works fine.
                    Dual disc spoke wheels are my favourite look. I think those rotors look great.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks, I wasn't sure how they would look but I think they gave it some class!
                      Regards,
                      Jason

Comment

A bit more traditional looking than the CBR ones. A good option to have
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I gotta ask...what's the braking difference between the different sized twin pot calipers that everyone is using and the matched hole calipers?
                          Salty knows where this is going....along the way of procuring parts for my twin pot upgrade, my 07 Kawi EX650 MC came with it's matching calipers - which happen to be the same sized hole type. I'm told those aren't the ones of choice.....I get that....but it's my usual curiosity that makes me ask why this is?...why is the big and lil holed version so much better?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                            what's the braking difference between the different sized twin pot calipers that everyone is using and the matched hole calipers?

my 07 Kawi EX650 MC came with it's matching calipers - which happen to be the same sized hole type. I'm told those aren't the ones of choice.

but it's my usual curiosity that makes me ask why this is?...why is the big and lil holed version so much better?
                            is that a typo and you meant master cylinder bores?if your caliper setup does not properly match your master cylinder, you will have either a very spongy lever feel since you need to be moving twice as much fluid as you are, or a very hard lever feel.

EDIT - Ahhh I see... your wording and terminology were confusing. I looked up those calipers. That year has similar calipers to the ones we use, but non-universal L and seperate R caliper brackets without the matching holes on top and bottom on the universal L or R brackets

Also, more likely what you are referring to is that both of the pistons are the larger diameter, unlike the ones with the "universal L &/or R" bracket that have a smaller piston and a larger piston in each caliper. The pads look nearly the same. That would be excellent if those calipers would also work with dan's brackets as well. They appear to have a steel bracket still, so they could also be chopped up and welded onto as I did on mine.

I am guessing that with a smaller&larger piston, you may get a little bit of brake shoe toe-in to avoid squeal/noise, but causing a little more uneven pad wear. with a larger piston pair in each caliper, I am speculating that if the master cylinder bore is the same as with the older style, then you will get more power out of the caliper but a softer lever feel with more lever travel needed to reach full braking. basically you would have easier effort on the lever, but more travel of the lever needed. So you would have more powerful brakes, but your lever would come back further. I suppose they could change the geometry of the lever and the leverage it exerts to alter that as well. Lots of variables here.
                            Last edited by Chuck78; 09-21-2015, 05:32 PM.
                            '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                            '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                            '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                            '79 GS425stock
                            PROJECTS:
                            '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                            '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                            '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                            '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Chuck, No, what I'm talking about is the 2 different types of twin pot calipers- the ones folks here are using, are the big and small piston version - while the other type is the matched sized piston twin pots. Lacking a pick Id say the one type in question would be the oem matched sized piston, twin pot calipers of an 07 Kawi EX650A7f.
                              Using CrazyClouds last posted pick- that type of twin pot caliper has the big piston hole on top and a lil one on the bottom- twin pot, but two different sized pistons.....the ones on an 07 Kawi EX650A7f have both pistons the same size....hope that helps explain my end of it.

Edit- yeah, sometimes it's hard to convey things from my head to the web...or others. Wasn't trying to talk down to you or anything.
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2015, 06:48 PM.

Comment

"Feel" at the lever and less likely to squeal. The pads tend to wear even regardless in my experience. I believe the main reason they probably changed is for cost reasons. Less material & less SKU's, less material in the pad & a slightly easier pad swap (which helps dealer margins). They have one less piston & one less size O ring to stock.

I have ridden a couple of bikes with those later brakes fitted. Similar in every way. The bracket does not suit our purposes as well & they don't work with that bracket. Eventually I will look at them as an alternative when it becomes impossible to get good calipers but haven't had a chance as yet other than to have a quick look and see that it will be a 4 bolt bracket & will be more complex than what we currently have. (Read MORE EXPENSIVE )

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X