Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
    Just some info for those struggling to find decent used rotors from almost 20 year old motorcycles. I bought all the parts a number of years ago, then life intervened with a house move followed by a divorce so I didn't do the actual conversion until last year and then didn't get to ride it until this spring. On the first ride the F3 rotors showed their age and one warped fairly massively during the 30km or so bed-in run. Looking at fleabay showed nothing but tired rotors that are now 20 years old so I took a chance and ordered these:

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for For HONDA CBR600F CBR600F3 95-98 CBR900RR Fireblade 94-97 Front Brake Rotor Disc at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

The price wasn't cheap, but they were brand new and had a warranty. They shipped to me in 3 days for $20 (try that in North America...). They are nicely made, quality looks good and everything fit exactly as it should. Mounted on my 82 1100E:

Just for reference, the OEM Suzuki rotors weighed 1653g each, the F3 rotors weighed 1342g and these ones weigh 1230g. That is a savings of 423g per rotor for a reduction in unsprung rotating mass of nearly two pounds. If you can bring yourself to run Chinese brake parts these offer a way to get a much more certain component than the ebay lottery.

Mark
    I believe those are Arashi rotors and I am running them on my ZRX. They work well. If you look, most modern wheels are made by Arashi. They were $178 shipped to my door in about a week.
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Hey Salty you have a PM

Comment

One back at you
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Help! Does anyone have their old Suzuki dual disc brakes still? I need a front caliper piston from a 78-79 GS750EC/EN dual disc model with the 3mm diameter caliper pistons. Trying to put together a bike for a friend with a big time crunch. I should have just gone twinpot mod after the cost of dual caliper seals and all rubber parts, and a major hassle with the master cylinder disassembly on the original parts...

All new rebuild parts for the stock setup (existing pads) and new reservoir... live and learn...

I think the GS1000E 78-79 may be the same but I'm not certain. May Dremel the rust pits out and JB Weld/sand them smooth until one can arrive NOS from England (obsolete from Suzuki)

Thanks

Chuck
          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

sent you a PM chuck

Comment

I have finally found a good set of CBR rotors here in the UK that are worth having and my ZR750 calipers are now rebuilt with new seals, boots and pads. The salty_monk kit is on the shelf ready so just going to free all the buttons on the rotors and de-glaze the brake surface and away we go.

Won't be long now.
              Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Originally posted by bobtail84 View Post
                I have finally found a good set of CBR rotors here in the UK that are worth having and my ZR750 calipers are now rebuilt with new seals, boots and pads. The salty_monk kit is on the shelf ready so just going to free all the buttons on the rotors and de-glaze the brake surface and away we go.

Won't be long now.
                If after spraying the buttons and they don't readily want to come loose - try an old pan or tray and spray enough brake clean fluid in to let them soak for a while...works!

Comment

I have cleaned the buttons and de glazed 1 rotor so far and the results are quite impressive.

I have also built up the calipers

I'm going to de glaze and clean the buttons on the 2nd rotor and use my salty_monk spacer/template to drill the holes. Wife and family permitting I'm gonna try and get it all fitted up this week end.
                  Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

Look'in good...cept for those funny looking outlets, but maybe it's just my perspective from this side of the pond{lol}.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                      Look'in good...cept for those funny looking outlets, but maybe it's just my perspective from this side of the pond{lol}.
                      Hey Bob, what do mean outlets? The bleed nipples are a standard item over hear are yours different so to speak.
                      Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

I think he was referring to your 220v (240v?) electrical wall receptacles above your workbench in the top left
                        '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                        '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                        '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                        '79 GS425stock
                        PROJECTS:
                        '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                        '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                        '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                        '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                          I think he was referring to your 220v (240v?) electrical wall receptacles above your workbench in the top left
                          Ah with you it's true we do have a few strange ways on this side of the pond but that's what happens when you live on a small island, some say it makes us special....

Anyway the rotors are drilled ready and I've dry assembled the calipers on to the bike just to see if there are any issues and I'm pleased to report that they were just fine. I have ordered 2 stainless steel bolts with nuts and washers to locate the bottom part of the bracket to the forks and I'm ready to go.
                          Last edited by bobtail84; 07-23-2016, 11:31 AM.
                          Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

Outlets = plug socket - two people separated by a common language

looking good! Are those stainless Pistons? There's a good place for those in the UK, can't get stainless here in the US
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                              Outlets = plug socket - two people separated by a common language

looking good! Are those stainless Pistons? There's a good place for those in the UK, can't get stainless here in the US
                              They are stainless pistons from these lovely chaps below. They are very helpful bunch and if I recall the pistons were £ 15 ish each.

Powerhouse Automotive (UK) Ltd Unit 7, Carr Wood Industrial Estate (Phase 1) Carrwood Road, Sheepbridge Chesterfield S41 9QB UK
                              +44(0)1246 260665
                              Motorcycle Brake Calipers | Supercharger Repairs | ECU Remapping | Jaguar & Range Rover Performance Upgrades | 5-Star Customer Service

They do have an ebay shop and they sell full repair kits or single items.
                              Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

The brake upgrade is done.

The improvement is huge and it's a very easy conversion.

All I have to do now is sort out the sponginess in the lever and jobs a good un.
                                Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

Working...
                                X