No announcement yet.

Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calipers are right.... The rotors might be a bigger dia. The RR came with bigger dia some years.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I ended up going with a different set of rotors off a 93/94 900rr. They measure 296 and have a different hole pattern than yours. I was wondering if you had any of your bracket kits available?

Comment

Yes I have some. I can get you some out over this next week no problem. I'll PM you.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I got some more bracket kits for anyone that is in need...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I noticed that my left caliper sits 1/4 or so higher from axle then right side. Pad is too high. What am I missing?
            IMG_0007.jpg

Comment

Let's have a side on pic too if you can. I would say your left leg is off a single brake model and the other one is off a dual brake model.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Yes, what Dan said, & measure from center of axle to center of lower caliper mounting bolt on each fork slider. The 2 measurements should be the exact same. If what Dan says is the problem, one side would be 10mm further than the other (half of the difference between 275mm & 295mm OEM dual disc vs dingle disc brakes).

Measure both rotors to make sure they are identical. They should be, but some Honda models with ABS have one rotor that works for us and one that wont. The difference should not be in the diameter in that case as far as I have seen, but in the offset of the rotor.
                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Yes it appears that in this bike's previous life someone fitted a single disc lower on the left. It is a small enough difference that I didn't pick up on it until finishing the brakes. Amazing the demons you will find hiding in old bikes. Thanks all and if you have a spare GS1000E lower left leg I am in the market.

Comment

Just a quick up date..

After I completed the twinpot upgrade I was never 100% happy with the feel of the brake lever.

So after a little bit of investigation I decided to use the master cylinder from a 96 Suzuki Bandit GSF 600 which cost me £25.00 from eBay which is about the same in $ at the moment.

My main reasoning was the availability of the initial M/C, spare and service parts. The M/C also is a very good fit on the bars with regards to the switch gear and throttle cables and it also is very aesthetically pleasing meaning it looks like it should be there.

The GSF M/C has the mounts for the wing mirrors, again this was what I was looking for.

After a strip down and clean with a change of rubbers the whole conversion took all of half an hour including re-bleeding the brakes.

The end result is what I was trying to achieve with the original but didn't. The brake feel has gone from OK to absolutely spot on with a true 2 finger breaking with low effort for maximum effect and feel.

Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

That's great, detailed info for people. Great post.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Gs1000E brake upgrade

Dear sir, I have a 78 GS1000E. Have purchased the CBR900 rotors and the EX500 calipers. Do you sell the brackets that mount the calipers to the forks? How much? And will you accept a money order.
                        Thanks, James Shinault Goldbike 864-677-4630 evenings 864-677-5630

Comment

Originally posted by bobtail84 View Post
                          ....I decided to use the master cylinder from a 96 Suzuki Bandit GSF 600 ...
                          I love the happy ending, but have to ask, what was the previous MC that you didn't care for? {Just as a reference point for us}

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                            I love the happy ending, but have to ask, what was the previous MC that you didn't care for? {Just as a reference point for us}
                            It was the standard item circa 1980.
                            I just couldn't get a good feel on the lever even after bleeding the system many times. I put it down to the age of the M/C and how much it had just generally worn over the years even after replacing the rubbers.
                            Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Originally posted by bobtail84 View Post
                              Just a quick up date..

After I completed the twinpot upgrade I was never 100% happy with the feel of the brake lever.

So after a little bit of investigation I decided to use the master cylinder from a 96 Suzuki Bandit GSF 600 which cost me £25.00 from eBay which is about the same in $ at the moment.

My main reasoning was the availability of the initial M/C, spare and service parts. The M/C also is a very good fit on the bars with regards to the switch gear and throttle cables and it also is very aesthetically pleasing meaning it looks like it should be there.

The GSF M/C has the mounts for the wing mirrors, again this was what I was looking for.

After a strip down and clean with a change of rubbers the whole conversion took all of half an hour including re-bleeding the brakes.

The end result is what I was trying to achieve with the original but didn't. The brake feel has gone from OK to absolutely spot on with a true 2 finger breaking with low effort for maximum effect and feel.

The Deauville (NTV 650) m/c is another useful 5/8" / 16mm one to bear in mind, and sits flat on the bars. Amazing what difference a generation or two of design makes to the feel, yet it's superficially the same thing.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Any brake conversion has it trails and errors in a refit....just because the oem had twin discs doesn't mean the new calipers area is a match. The needed volume..or wanted volume...when activated, may vary. Too big a volume and the brakes are touchy and hard to modulate....too little and they're soft, not very responsive and not much better than what you started with. A tweener is best, leaning on the side of a a tad more volume.

Some folks think the oem brakes are fine...
                                I figure these folks are; ham handed and can squeeze harder, never rode a bike with responsive brakes to compare to or just figure they're just supposed to be that way. I'm just not one of those folks...and given this thread, I'm not alone in the want for better braking.

Comment

Working...
                                X