Question about Dyna coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Dyna coils

As some know, Im turning a salvage yard rescue into a Semi Digger style Chopper. Im not sure if the coils or for that matter, any of the ignition is worth saving yet. Since im in the mock up phase, Im trying to get everything mounted. If I go with the Dyna ignition, are the mounting holes the same on the Dyna coils as the Stock coils. Main reason Im asking is Im not mounting them in the stock position. Theyre being mounted to the stem gusset now that the tank has been repositioned.

Thanks.

I am pretty sure they are not the same bolt pattern for the hold down bolts. The dyna coils are kinda small compared to the stock type.

Comment

The ones I used were a straight swap.
      They do have two sets of mounting holes on the laminated core.
      Hope that helps
      Cheers

Comment

If you are making mounts to move them what does it matter? Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          +1, new mounts sounds like it will solve said problem.

Comment

Because I only have the stock coils as of now and was hoping to have everything done in terms of the fabrication. If it turns out that Dyna coils are not direct bolt up, I was going to have to order something Im not ready for yet. Im on a tight budget due to the layoff that I got caught up in 2 months ago.

Comment

Then, yes, the Dynas will go into the stock location. Ray.

Comment

Then, yes, the Dynas will go into the stock location. Ray.
                Cool I just didnt want to drill and tap and be wrong OR have to drill an exposed area of my paint if I end up not getting the coils in time.

Comment

They mount the same, the plug wire come out a little different. So you may need to make some minor adjustments for that

Comment

my dyna greens installed just like factory. they use there own coil wires which you can route anyway you want.

Comment

Where are the pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Harrop View Post
                        Where are the pics?
                        Ill be mounting them on the neck gusset. Ive got the tank mount moved and have mocked it up with the tank, entire front end and the stock coils. Nothing hits and they dont look bad there. Maybe if I use the stock coild, Ill have to cleann them up and apply a little paint.

Oddly enough, the holes for the gusset cover are just about dead on and are at the correct angle. There plenty of room for coild wires to loop back to the head without pinching anywhere. Sorry no current photos of the build yet but lots of little crap has been completed.

The backbone has been redone. Its now one piece instead of slugged together. Tank mount has been moved. The frontend has been raked just over 3*. Frontend has been sandblasted, primed and painted. with new seals and gaiters. Shock coils have been cut down to acommodate the new ride height. The are just below the backbone, where the 2 secondary tubes were connected are now a straight tubing gusset up to the underside of the backbone. Lots of small stuff done and still loads to get into.

Comment

looks like you have seriously compromised the strength of the head stock to me. maybe wrong but i wouldnt trust the flex in that frame.
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                            looks like you have seriously compromised the strength of the head stock to me. maybe wrong but i wouldnt trust the flex in that frame.
                            You didnt read the post. Ive redone the backbone but have no new photos of any of the new work completed. The new backbone is of a heavier wall thickness and is seated in the same neck gusset as the old. When completed, should be every bit as structural if not more so than the stock .080" tubing that was there before.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                              You didnt read the post. Ive redone the backbone but have no new photos of any of the new work completed. The new backbone is of a heavier wall thickness and is seated in the same neck gusset as the old. When completed, should be every bit as structural if not more so than the stock .080" tubing that was there before.
                              but you appear to have lost any lateral strength, side to side flex. those old gs frames were notorious for it as standard without cutting out the side supports. just my opinion
                              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
                              X