Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb Gurus...Am i on the right track here??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    I was more concerned with the pilot system. I am pretty positive that i have the main right, or at least within one size of being so. Once out of the pilot and into the needle the bike takes off like a rocket, with no stuttering, flatness or bogging. My chops consisted of less than a 1/4 turn of throttle cruising in second below 3k. Thats where i was having the trouble so thats where i looked. It helps to mark off your throttle controll in increments with tape so you can SEE where you are in the carbs essentially. I will also add that its sort of difficult to do if you;ve installed a 1/4 turn sleeve. What my problem SEEMS to have boiled down to was being rich in the FLOATS and a bit over on the screws. I may still end up bumping up the pilot at some point to get rid of the last little bit of popping on decel, which is pretty minimal now, but for the most part, and i havent done any chops on it yet, but it seems to be just about as good as its gonna get with pods. When choping, run the bike in the circuit you're concerned with as per the marks you make on your throttle. Id say start out bout .5 mile or so from the house as straight a shot as you can, then run it in whatever throttle position, and pull the clutch and hit the kill switch just before you hit your driveway...then pull the plugs and read em
    Funny, to make a long story short, that's exactly where I'm at. I ran the bike yesterday after raising my dynajet needle up a notch to lean out the 5-7k range (it was a bit rich there). My bike pulled like a freight train beyond 3.5k all they way through the circuits, but in that lower pilot circuit it is bogging down like it is too rich. I'm going to lean out the mixture screw a half turn and see where I'm at before ripping the carbs and looking at the floats.

Because my garage is downtown philly, there are no close straight aways long enought to do proper upper chops. I will probably head to Duangeage's house to do proper chops and final synch. I just want to get the low rpm bogging eliminated first.

good times!

Comment

Thanks to all for the input, yes even YOU Ray :P So here is what I did. After pulling the plugs on some short but sweet plug chops of the pilot circuit they looked pretty good but a lil on the rich side. #2 was on the verge of being horridly rich. I pulled the carbs, and lo and behold the float levels had gone richer AGAIN I dunno how this is possible, because i had set them at 22 flat..although i must admit i didnt check every single one on the pairs, so its possible that was my own dumb fault there... AT any rate, after Steve, who's patience is greater than my own by an exponential rate, nicely reset them ALL for me at 2.4 and we went from there. I pulled the slides and shimed the needles to 3.5 from the bottom, because 4 was too fat, 3 seemed a hair lean. We reinstalled the carbs, dynamic synced and after that was done, we actually had to back off the adjustment screws with the STOCK 45 jet to 1.5 turns out for the highest idle. I JUST took her out this morning, and it certainly sound and FEELS better. As a matter of fact, on my way to work when i got off the highway, i had to rev the bike to assure it was still running it was so smooth. (I had my ear plugs in) SO far so good...When and IF it dries out here in the next day or so, i will do some plug chops and give further report. Thanks again guys, and Maro that set up guide was extremely helpfull. I printed it off and put it in my test/tune kit
      Almost a happy ending!

Float levels are far more critical on these carbs than I had realised. Clymer recommends 23-25mm for the VM's with the bowl gasket installed. Gaskets are 1mm thick.
      The greatest improvement to transition from pilot to needle circuits was when I reduced bowel levels by setting to the maximum settings 24mm (with the gasket installed). I originally set up at the max level of 22mm, but found a huge difference in transition and mid range crispness when I set them at 24mm (less fuel in the bowl). Not starving fuel at top end either, so they have remained at the lower levels.
      The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Well, turns out this is still frustrating me. On the way home from work today it started acting up again Its fine coming out of second, say pulling away from a light mildly, but up untill midway thru second gear it has started to stumble when it gets warm. Its seriously starting to **** me off to the point that if i cant figure it out, im not going on any trip untill i do. It was fine this morning, ran just great. Its been wet out all day, and with those pods, you breath wrong and things change drasticly. This could be part of it, but i dont know. its very very frustrating to say the least... This is why im done with pods. They're more a pain in the arse than they are worth.

Comment

Well, turns out this is still frustrating me. On the way home from work today it started acting up again Its fine coming out of second, say pulling away from a light mildly, but up untill midway thru second gear it has started to stumble when it gets warm. Its seriously starting to **** me off to the point that if i cant figure it out, im not going on any trip untill i do. It was fine this morning, ran just great. Its been wet out all day, and with those pods, you breath wrong and things change drasticly. This could be part of it, but i dont know. its very very frustrating to say the least... This is why im done with pods. They're more a pain in the arse than they are worth.
          Go back to the airbox, stock jetting, and smell the flowers!
          Life's too short to keep banging your head against a brick wall. Get out there and do some riding. ENJOY THE FREEDOM!!
          Last edited by 49er; 05-01-2009, 11:28 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X