engine bogging down on start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine bogging down on start up

I have an 82 GS1100 L with about 9000 miles. Maybe this is a simple fix, maybe more complicated... but i'm a pretty lousy mechanic so i'm kicking it up to the experts here. So when i start the bike.. full choke, no gas she starts every time. but i have to choke the bike for a good few minutes otherwise it bogs down when or essentially floods out when you touch the trottle. Once the bike is warm it is much more responsive to the trottle, but i'm not sure i have the full power/responce I had this time last year. Any thoughts? Thanks!

mike

have you pulled any plugs to see what color they are? how does the bike idle once warm? air filter plugged?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Don't touch the throttle until it's totally off the choke. You will foul the plugs out.

Comment

Sounds a tad too lean, air leaks? Modified intake or exhaust?
        What have you done to it?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

How old is your gas? Just curious.

Comment

answers to questions

Hey everyone thanks for the replies. 1.) My gas is about 1.5 days old its been rainy and I haven't wanted to ride that much. Usually a tank of gas doesn't last me longer than a day. (Yeah, I ride the **** out of that bike. I think I alrealy have just under 1000 miles this season and I live in the UP of Michigan where its still really cold!) 2.) Exhuast and intake have not been modified, however both the bolts have broke off on one of the headers where it bolts to the case. 3.) the bike idles fine once its warm. The plugs are greyish. 4.) I dont touch the trottle with the choke still on... I feather it out than gas it until it she will idle. If i'm on the trottle a little too much it will stall out. Its really finicky when its cold. Once its warm its all good

Thanks for all your help

Mike

Comment

some bikes with excessive carbon build up inside will NEED HEAT energy built up before they run good. on or off the choke. the carbon is an insulator keeping the heat off of the aluminum.

let it get hot before trying to tune out a non problem it is your bikes character.

I would advise a de-carbon technique as a patch not a cure.\

the cure is to take the top end off and mechanically remove carbon off of the valves and piston crowns with a wire wheel--

de-carbon technique:

spray water into each cylinder through the carb body while revving the engine to keep it running. stream squirt not fan spray
              or use carb cleaner or brake cleaner straight down the intake tract.

the smell and smoke is bad on badly caked engines fragments of carbon will pepper whatever is behind the bike will not remove all but a big portion. idle mixture may need adjusted after this. won't hurt to try
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

At 9000 miles, it would be unusual to have enough carbon build up to cause problems. If the bike wasn't stored for the winter with stabilized gas run into the carbs, it might explain the loss of response, compared to last year. Trying a couple tanks of Sea Foam treated gas wouldn't hurt, nor would fresh plugs, if they haven't been changed in a few years. The 1100 Suzy's are supposedly inherently cold-blooded, but having said that, I only needed half to three-quarter choke for a couple minutes, even at near-freezing temps, with the stock carbs.....revs would start climbing within 45 secs or so.

Tony.
                '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                X