Question for people using dynojet on 83-86 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for people using dynojet on 83-86 GS550

I need to get a starting base line for a stock exhaust and emgo oem air filter has anyone used this kit at lower altitudes, im at 700ft so the closer to me the better!

Thanks!
    Darren

a jet kit will cause your engine to run to rich if you are going to be running stock pipes and filter. A jet kit is intended for aftermarket pipes and pods.

What are you trying to do?
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

a jet kit should be able to work on a stock bike too, i have my factory mains in it. they came on the carbs i got

Comment

the point of the jet kit is to richen up the carbs because after you install a pipe and pods it will be very lean, the kit balances it all out. With the stock componets on your bike the jet kit will not work. You set the carbs to match your setup. By installing a jet kit and not installing the pipe and a free flowing air filter you will be dumping way to much gas into the engine. if you are looking to do minor adjustments it would be best to just either shim the needles, up or lower the main jet one step, and turn in or out the fuel mix screw. A stage # kit is designed for the above mentioned mods.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Twig,

if you're going to run the stock exhaust and cheapo filter, I'll send you my stock needles and slide weights so that you can be right on your mixture! PM me your address and I'll get them sent out Monday, now that my post office is closed for the weekend..........

Paul

Comment

Dynojet stage 1 kit is for K&N filter with modified airbox (lid removed, etc) and stock exhaust

Dynojet stage 2 kit is for K&N filter with modified airbox and aftermarket 4-1 exhaust

Dynojet stage 3 kit is for K&N PODs with aftermarket 4-1 exhaust

Dynojet stage 7 kit is for HIGHLY MODIFIED race only engines and exhaust

this information came directly from Dynojet when I ordered my stage 3 kit.....

Comment

hhhmmm i have all the stuff to convert it back, but you think i can leave the bushing in the main air jet for a little richer wot? and also how do you think it will work with the dj slide weights and stock needles?

Comment

I think that until you do some type of mod to the bike you should put it all back to OEM........it's tuned to perform that way!

The slide weights have a necessary job.....trust me. I've tried a few different combinations when my kit didn't come with the DJ plastic slideweights and I was trying to get things to work until they sent them to me........

As soon as I installed them I was set..........run the correct jets for the correct setup! All you're going to do is cause it to NOT run at its optimal level of performance.......

Comment

also thanks Colorado ive been messing with these so much that i forgot i could give up and go back to stock needles and weights

Comment

well im gonna try and leave that bushing in there because i dont wanna pull the carbs, and the low rpm to midrange is where my problems are.

Comment

also did you try shimming the stock needles before you put the dj kit in? Just asking because they have so little taper i wasnt sure if it actually helps ( i dont know what a bs32ss carb needle looks like for comparison

Comment

the stock needles don't work right with washer spacers........they just don't have the taper as you said!

Comment

so i shouldnt even worry about putting washers in place of the plastic spacer?

Comment

doesn't help!

Comment

Working...
                            X