Front end swaps... for older GSes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end swaps... for older GSes?

Good evening, all! I've read far and wide (thanks to the search function) about lots of folks being able to swap newer GSX-R/whatever front ends entirely onto some of their GSes. However, it seems that most folks that do this conversion have the newer styles of GSes - '83 or so on up.

First, a synopsis of what I'm dealing with.

I have a 1980 GS550E. I've gone through the whole bike for the most part - frame was powder-coated, body pieces were re-painted, and most of the stuff that was old and dumpy stuff has been spiffed up quite a bit or replaced (RAASK rearsets, aftermarket shocks, drag bar, fork seals, all fluids, etc.).

So, I've been riding it a bit more in the past couple of months, and I've found what I don't like about it. Although I've put a lot of work (and money!) into making the bike look and perform more or less like it did nearly 30 years ago... Although the firmer new rear shocks improved handling a bit, the architectural limitations of the bike itself remain. The tall, skinny front wheel/tire make braking, in my opinion, wholly insufficient. The fork dives far too much for my liking under heavy braking and sags too much in turns. Now that I have the seating position "fixed" and I do enjoy riding it, I'd look to improve those other things.

So, I'd like it to handle more firmly, brake much harder, and be able to put quality rubber for modern 17" wheels on it. I admit, I've been spoiled by my modern bikes of the past few years - '97 Speed Triple, '00 TT600, '96 GPz1100, '03 Moto Guzzi LeMans... even my Ninja 250 and Seca II were far better performers on nearly every level.

In summary, I'd like to have some way to do the following:
    - Firmer forks are desired. I understand that this can be done with better springs and heavier oil, but that leaves no room for the following.
    - Better brakes
    - Better tire options (17" wheel of nearly any width would do nicely)
    - The same tire options for the rear wheel.

And like I said, it seems that lots of "newer" GS owners have been able to find good parts to swap in. Do us older GS platform owners have an option? Even the front end of a GS500E/F would be a massive improvement over my current setup.

And for the rear wheel - is this feasible in any way, shape, or form? Seems that there's just enough room in the swingarm to put a slightly wider tire on, but how would one go about dealing with the rest of the rear-end issues, like the sprocket and rear brake disc?

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated, whether it be "it's easy, here's the list of parts and adapters and new bearings you'll need" or "no way in hell, now bugger off".

Cost wouldn't be a massive factor unless it got really insane; I've already pumped $2000+ into this sack of bolts, what's another $1500 or so?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2009, 12:16 AM.

read this.

and this has some info

Comment

I would suggest, before you go with the newer stuff.. Just to try it out, picking up a set of Progressive Fork Springs. Best 80 bucks I ever spent on my 1100ES. I push it pretty hard, but with a good set of springs, she's still got more than I would probably ever push er.

Comment

i say the following with all the best intentions, if you change the fork to a newer type your original wheel wont work along with a slew or other stuff. look at my 78, it has a 97gsxr1000 front fork with a ton of mods and to be correct i had to change the rear swing arm to fit the gsxr wheel and fabricate out the wazoo! . in the end i think it was worth it. it now has everything you mentioned to wanted. their are other ways to mod out your bike that aren't so radical but before you go their understand this, some of the things your gonna change cant be reversed so be sure you wanna change her up. is all you original equipment working correctly? when everything is working right your bike should preform (as stock) pretty darn good. did you check your forks for proper pressure and seal? are your brake pads good as well as your rotors? and tires, they are all available with newer styles in your stock and slightly oversize sizes. in the end i guess you could say yes the mods are available for your older gs just as the newer ones but do you want to go through all that for a fatter tire and a stiff front end and 6 piston calipers? BTW i have over what you have invested in your bike to date just in parts to do what i did so it dont come cheap. if your still interested let me know and i will come up with a list for ya. cliff

Comment

It may be even harder with the 550 than a 1000 as the 1100 swing arm isn't a straight bolt on....

I have progressives on my bikes front end with 15w oil & Avon Roadriders in 100F & 130R sizes. I can drag hard parts on both sides. The tyres are good enough to do that.
          I didn't like the brakes, I run Kawasaki Twinpot calipers with a Honda CBR F4 Rotor. You could do that to your 550 (single sided or dual) by replacing fork leg with 650 model.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Can anyone recommend what brand of progressive springs and where to get them.
            Thanks.
            Sorry to off topic the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by landshark View Post
              Can anyone recommend what brand of progressive springs and where to get them.
              Thanks.
              Sorry to off topic the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post
                Thanks. They have an Australian dealer

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far, guys. I checked out the Cafe' thread above - this is almost exactly what I was counting on needing to do. It looks like a fun project, but I'd imagine it'd get pretty expensive at some point. I guess I'll have to wait and see until this winter. Until then, maybe I'll just have my springs replaced and the forks rebuilt, and wait for the full-suspension swap until I have a third bike.

Comment

if you use the Katana wheels like I did you shouldn't have much to mod to get them to work! I have a complete writeup in this "Performance Mods" section........

You can get the exact front end I put on my bike right now on ebay for less than $100 shipped!!! 90 GSXR 750 slingshot front end......not only will you get the better suspension but you can run wider wheels and tires!

I have a 110/70-17 on the front and 140/70-17 on the rear in my stock 550E rear swingarm!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X