What Carbs to Buy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Carbs to Buy???

I have a 79 GS1000. Bought from Original owner 12,000 miles. I have installed electronic ignition, coils and wires, vance and hines exhaust with comp baffle. I have pingel lowering struts on the rear and the front end has also been lowered. I plan on making a street/strip bike and want a set of perfomance carbs for it. I do plan on putting an 1100 kit and cams in it next year but I want to ride it next year with the stock engine. What carbs do I want. I have heared Mikuni 29 Smoothbores, Mikuni RS Flatslides 34, or 36, Keihin Round Slides etc... Any help or direction would be appreciated.

For a performance bike I'm pretty sure you want the RS Flatslides. Though on a pre-80 bike, not 100% certain. Some of the better informed performance guys will happen along shortly.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2009, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I had 29mm smooth bores on my 80 GS1000S with a Kerker 4-1 and it was much quicker than my stock 80 GS1000E.
      1980 GS1000E

Comment

i purchased a set of flatslides from a 89 GSXR1000--but have yet to the bike done to see how they work.

Comment

Since you're interested in racing it, I'd say go with the Mikuni 36mm RS Flatslides. Mechanical, not CV. If you do that, you'll want to switch out the fuel valve to a Pingel Pro Flo to get maximum fuel flow at WOT.

My .02 worth.

And btw, they're expensive but I think RapidRay may have a set or can find one for around $400.

Don

Comment

i say buy the brand new rajay turbo from the guy you spoke with on the phone today and look for a header and a manifold and a 42mm hrs mikuni carb and bypass the overpriced carborated stuff all togather.
            dont forget a HD basket and welding the crank/adding upper/lower studs/o-ring the liner tops and so on..
            you have my number.

Comment

life is full of compromises.

29smoothies and 33's are still old technology but work great at half throttle and higher. you will have to forgive them if you are running at less than that.

36 flats are a great choice and can be tuned in for satisfactory street riding at multiple altitude elevations. The accelerator pump helps some

CV carbs are the smoothest for street but not as aggressive as mechanical types.
              32 34 CV's are all over the place from GPZ 750 or later gs1000 shafties - these work so good and get 40MPG++
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I seemed to make more hp with my mikuni flatslides over guys running similar combo's and some of those other carbs that were mentioned. I would be concerned the 36's might be too big and you would fight hesitation when snapping the throttle open. 34's might be more responsive on a smaller motor. The 36's would make more HP on top.

Comment

Working...
                X