Help with shocks for 82 GS650L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with shocks for 82 GS650L

I'm thinking about new shocks for my bike but have no idea how to get started. The manuals I have don't say anything about size. I'd like a good improvement without breaking the bank. Not sure if I should get a replacement OEM or an aftermarket. Also not sure of good places to get them. The current rear shocks are on the stiffest setting and are really soft. Probably looking at doing the rears first since they seem easier (replace the whole unit, one at a time).

For the front, is it just a spring replacement or are there more parts to swap out?

For the front of the bike, progressive fork springs and fresh fork oil are a good idea. For the rear, you could go with progressive or ikon brand shocks. Z1 enterprises sells ikons, places like dennis kirk have the progressive line of products. If you go to http://www.progressivesuspension.com/ you can find what fits your bike.

Springs and shocks is a great bang for your buck upgrade. The bike will handle better and be a lot more fun to ride.

Comment

While you have the Progressive Suspension catalog open on the desk, order yourself a set of their fork springs as well. Much better than stock and you don't need to fool with the air pressure thingy anymore. You won't need it.

Comment

I bought Progressives from Dennis Kirk, it cost me $259.00 and free shipping as well. They're much better than my old shocks were. I still have to do the forks, that'll happen this winter.

Comment

I just got YSS shocks, shipped from New Jersey.
          Great quality, features and price.

Comment

I just got YSS shocks, shipped from New Jersey.
            Great quality, features and price.
            They look nice..any idea where they are made?

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              They look nice..any idea where they are made?
              Parts made in Thailand where the factory is.
              My shock was custom assembled with the specs I provided them, like other custom shocks, like weight, riding style.

Here's the company profiles from the website:
              Discover YSS Suspension, Thailand's leading motorcycle suspension brand. Elevate your ride with our innovative products like the PD Valve Fork Emulator and Fork Cartridge Kits. Trusted in over 30 countries, YSS promises unmatched comfort, control, and precision for every journey. Experience the difference today.

Comment

Working...
              X