Marzocchi shocks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marzocchi shocks...

I acquired a set of new old Marzocchi Strada shocks , and have a couple questions for anyone here running these piggybacks on their GS. The shocks have the number '4' on the piggyback reservoir.....does the number refer to spring rate? I've seen pics of these shocks, and they have different numbers on the piggyback cylinder....usually '2', from a couple pics that came up with a search on the forum....

Mine are red with black springs, like this set....

I'll probably throw these on next season, but wondered if users had any input on the performance....from the couple hits I got with the search, it seems they are sprung on the firm side (I weigh between 200/210 lbs, so that should be fine), and the rebuild kits are still readily available.

Tony.
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

I've had a pair on my 78 since the early 80s.

I just went and checked, they have the number 4 on them. They are very firm, my 280 lbs doesn't come close to using up the travel. They still feel good with my 160 lb wife on back w/o changing the preload.

I don't know if there is a relation between the number and the spring rate

I think you have to get the full rebuild kit from the UK

I'd advise trying them out first, as mine have never been rebuilt
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I'm pretty sure the number refers to the rebound damping the shock was built with. On my 450 I have the more common here #2's - which seem to be intended for light/mediumweight bikes.
      As springs are readily changed I doubt they would stamp anything on the shock body referring to springs.
      Mine were bought well worn and a local guy who does motocross suspension rebuilt them after I made new shafts for them. Typically for Italian stuff the chrome flakes off the shafts.

Greg T

Comment

I don't know what the number means but I can tell you they're excellent shocks.

I love the fact that they're rebuildable and very 'period correct'.

Comment

I'm not sure what the number means either.
          I had a pair of the reds ones years ago on my '79 1000. They never felt right. I bought them new and after 2 years they started leaking. I bought a rebuild kit to fix the leak. Leaked again later. I tossed 'em in the dumpster finally.
          Many years ago (from at least 2 shops) I heard the rebuild kit wasn't available anymore.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Kits are still avaliable last I checked.

more info

Comment

Marzocchis are fetching ridiculous money now.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                I'm not sure what the number means either.
                I had a pair of the reds ones years ago on my '79 1000. They never felt right. I bought them new and after 2 years they started leaking. I bought a rebuild kit to fix the leak. Leaked again later. I tossed 'em in the dumpster finally.
                Many years ago (from at least 2 shops) I heard the rebuild kit wasn't available anymore.
                That's good to know!!

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Kits are still avaliable last I checked.

more info

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=140470
                  [QUOTE=Zooks; Marzocchis are fetching ridiculous money now.]QUOTE

A lot of info, thanks to everyone for the input! The shocks have zero miles on them, so I'll throw them on next season to evaluate, and also check for any leakage & go from there. Shocks are off a local gs turbo build that never got completed, and shafts & bodies look brand new, so may or may not need rebuilt right away, due to sitting a few years, bolted on to the project bike.
                  If they don't work out, maybe I can send them to Zooks, for resale in Australia.

Tony.
                  '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                  Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Got rebuild kits for mine from UK just over a year ago...very comprehensive kit. Typically, the only thing that really goes is the upper bushing/outer shaft-seal, and that *usually* goes because the shock mounts aren't shimmed-out to keep the shock EXACTLY VERTICAL(or perpindicular to) on the mounting studs/bolts: this mis-alignment causes premature wear from excessive side loading, thereby killing the seal, bushing, and possibly the shaft finish(although I've never seen this myself). Mine have a #4 on the res-cover, I'm 200lb, and I ride in the lowest pre-load. I had them on an '82 GPz back-in-the-day, and loved 'em then, too.

Comment

Originally posted by hp1000s View Post
                      Got rebuild kits for mine from UK just over a year ago...very comprehensive kit. Typically, the only thing that really goes is the upper bushing/outer shaft-seal, and that *usually* goes because the shock mounts aren't shimmed-out to keep the shock EXACTLY VERTICAL(or perpindicular to) on the mounting studs/bolts: this mis-alignment causes premature wear from excessive side loading, thereby killing the seal, bushing, and possibly the shaft finish(although I've never seen this myself). Mine have a #4 on the res-cover, I'm 200lb, and I ride in the lowest pre-load. I had them on an '82 GPz back-in-the-day, and loved 'em then, too.
                      Very good point about keeping the shocks parallel. Many are unaware of the factory spacing at the top of each shock. I don't remember it myself and I've had my '79 since new.
                      The lift handle on the left takes the place of a couple of spacers I believe but I don't remember the exact amount or thickness of spacers installed by the factory for each side. I suppose a parts illustration may be found at Bikebandit or ?
                      I'll bet a lot of bikes out there have shocks that are crooked.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Excellent point Keith...I removed the lift handle, and realized that this changed the spacing. I just shimmed the tops out until the bottom clevis mounts just fell onto the lower mount on it's own.

Comment

Working...
                        X