GS1000 Fork Swap: Steering stop question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Fork Swap: Steering stop question

I had to replace the forks on my GS1000L because they were bent..

I figured the trees were probably also bent so when I bought new forks I got a new tree too.

The Bike is a 79 GS1000L
    Original forks were leading axle.

New forks & trees are from a 1980 GS1000G
    Straight leg forks

When I put the G trees into the frame last night everything worked perfectly except the G tree has an extra stop on the right side the L didn't...

This extra stop only lets the bars turn full right to almost straight..

If I were to grind it off the left stop will handle the full travel left to right and stop at he correct angles.

The dumb questions is should I grind the extra stop off the tree or cut away some of the stop tab on the neck?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-07-2009, 07:48 PM.

Originally posted by sschering View Post
    The dumb questions is should I grind the extra stop off the tree or cut away some of the stop tab on the neck?
    It is easier to change a triple than a frame , so leave the frame alone.

Comment

Thats what I thought.. I just wanted to be sure someone didn't know something I didn't before hacking on the tree.

Thanks!

Comment

Maybe more simple to check that your original yoke is actually bent before you start hacking things up

The simple way is to drop the yoke onto a flat surface such as an engineers table & see if there's any rock + measure it every which way with a steel rule & vernier caliers

i'm guesing you dont have a surface plate or similar so use glass, your house window will do fine (you do have those dont you ? )

Comment

I hacked the tower off the tree last night worked like a charm..

My old L trees are bent. I checked them after I pulled them out.

I couldn't keep the L trees anyway because the new forks are Straight legs from a GS1000GT
          L trees have 1" offset to compensate for the leading axle... E/GT trees have 1.75" offset.

Straight legs in L trees would increase the the trail by almost a full inch.

Top is the L tree top clamp
          Bottom is the GT top clamp

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
            Maybe more simple to check that your original yoke is actually bent before you start hacking things up

The simple way is to drop the yoke onto a flat surface such as an engineers table & see if there's any rock + measure it every which way with a steel rule & vernier caliers

i'm guesing you dont have a surface plate or similar so use glass, your house window will do fine (you do have those dont you ? )
            Rolling along a straight rod (like another fork) is another trick that doesnt need a flat surface.

Comment

Working...
            X