1982 1100E 530 Chain Conversion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tone View Post
    Oops there seems to have been a little confusion here as to the meaning of my posts, in fact mighty13d nailed it

Just to clear it up, imo anything straight & non flexible is fine for checking chain alignment i thiink thats pretty much agreed across all the forums i use, there is some discussion about what is best for checking wheel alignment (a seperate issue) i prefer the slightly more awkward but imo more accurate non flexible straight edge route here when a jig is not available.

My second post was just a wtf here i am answering questions again & nobody even says "thanks" or "nice on mate" it does get a bit agrivating after a while if i'm honest

tone
    Thanks for all your help, Tone! Sorry I misunderstood, I forget that you're across the pond. I read your post with the inflections of an yank. If I had remembered your location, I probably would have sorted what you were saying better. I'll drink a Stella to you next time I'm on the town.

I may have found an interesting solution. I work for Home Depot, and we've recently put on clearance a little metal puck that houses a laser. It's designed to be bolted onto a circular saw. I think, if I can find a way to rig it onto the rear sprocket, this may be a great solution to the unreliability of previously attempted laser jigs.

I'm fairly sure everything's adjusted correctly, as far as the chain goes. I get a really weird high pitched howling sort of sound at about 50 mph. It either goes away, or the pitch increases beyond human hearing range past 52-53 mph. Any ideas this might be? I removed the foam from the inside of the sprocket cover, maybe it there to absorb these high frequency sounds and I'm just being overly-sensitive? There's no performance change when the sound is active.

I'll go ahead an start putting tool lists in with first posts as well. I was considering it already, but wasn't sure if it was wanted. It's surprisingly short for this project, and should be within the scope of any basic tool kit.

Just ordered the rest of the parts I need for my front suspension rebuild, and was given a set of Progressive front fork springs, and a set of rear Progressive shocks and springs, from the PO, so be on the lookout for another write up in the near-future.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2009, 04:08 PM.

Comment

This was a great write up! Thanks much Turtleface! I'm about to do this conversion and this was a total help. How has the performance been since the conversion. Did you ever figure out the high pitch noise at higher speeds?

Comment

wish I knew about this before I rebuilt my project. The chain flew off when the p.o. owned it and damaged the chain cover and some thread bosses on the case. Was only superficial. and replaced the chain cover. Went through the trouble of finding new 630 sprockets and new chain. Cost about 170, but now Ill put some miles on it before I convert to 530.

Comment

Working...
        X