X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katana Project

Okay, I am starting my Katty project.
    Slowly.
    Setting my steering head angle. I think 23 degrees is perfect.
    G
    sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
    2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
    Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
    '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

So tell us more. What are you starting with and where are you going with it. There are some obvious suspension mods but what else are you planning and why the change to steering head angle?

With my 82 750 Kat, I'm going stock this time around. The bike has been out of comission for some years so it will be fresh rubber, brakes, chain, bearings, seals and paint only this winter.

I'm not sure about keeping the bike ( don't know about the riding position and comfort) so I'm not getting heavily into it. If it turns out and I take to it maybe I'll consider the suspension mods too.

Keep us informed of what you're up to....lots of us are interested.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

Katty Proj.

Sorry folks, I got distracted with my GSXR Alt rotor and forgot to write some details.
      It is an '83 GS1100SD. I've had it for 23 1/2 years getting it on my 21st birthday. It's had a few incarnations and this will be the final as I am thinking to enjoy it for a while and then sell to finance my other projects. One of which to be a turbo Busa powered "SuperKat". But made more sense to get a 2nd frame and not bugger up the original.
      I have installed a '95 GSXR 750 fork with '91 GSXR600 wheell. The rear is a '90 GSXR750 with a Busa shock and Busa/TLR wheel. 6 inches. Though I will use a different cush drive. I raised the back as this is the best way to get an appropriate head angle for decent handling and stop worrying about the forks being too short. This is irrelevant as with the proper springs, they don't smush down much cutting clearence. Too many are worrying about this. I went up! Should wheelie nicely too. It will be 1290 at 11:1 with a GSXR 750 head with 28.3 intakes and 25mm exhaust valves. I would have used a GS head but don't have one nor the parts to complete it. Then a custom header and GSXR600 38mm throttle bodies powered by GPZ1100 FI. Yes, it really does work with a little tweaking. Straightened, welded and ballanced crank. No need for a straight ger along with the HD clutch basket and undercut trans. But using a hydraulic clutch. A slave pulling the lever to keep it simple instead of the more "normal" GSXR/Busa push system. I was considering painting the engine all silver and the bodywork too to look like an '82 1000 but may need some input on that. I will leave the wheels white as it makes it look much lighter. I figure 170-180 horses? Ray?
      Spyug, the 750 will be a great bike. Then you realize it's and underpowered 1100 pretending to be a 750. Though it would be an easy swap to put an 11 engine into the frame. The other thing is unless you are like 400 pounds, the suspension is all whacked. I remember, vaguely, that mine was too. I have no idea why anyone would want to go back to too high a spring rates with the nearly solid damping like the originals. Maybe when they are worn out they are okay?
      Feel freee to coment.
      Laters.
      G
      '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

KP Pistons

Thought I would share a piston foto.
        G

Comment

Thanks for the info. It looks like a very interesting project you have going.

As mentioned, I have to go stock this time but there are some intriguing custom Kats out there. The one that Katman is doing with the turbo is going to be insane. I wouldn't personally ever think of doing anything that extreme but coverting the suspension, running gear and swingarm could be something for the future....if I keep her. Perhaps the easiest first move would be an engine upgrade and I've got my eye half open for a Bandit mill.

Keep us informed of the progress and the pictures coming.

Cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

Whose pistons? Ray.

Comment

Ray, they were custom made for me by me when I used to make pistons at Ross Pistons.
              G

Comment

I had a feeling. Ray.

Comment

Are they allright for you Ray? The left one is a turbo and the other on the right is a natural aspiriated one. It is actually 12.5:1 with the '87 GSXR head but I will space the block up some to reduce it. The squish is rather irrelevant so nothing to worry about.
                  I have a lot of work and money in them. They even weigh less than the stockers as a complete assembly.
                  I was considering keeping the bike and later go to a Huge valve head, like a 31.5/27 and 1530. Since I have had it for my birthday, I should keep it?
                  LATERS
                  G

Comment

Cool project. Any more piccies?
                    -KR

Comment

Time

I kinda am taking the Holidays off before school starts toget my 750 frame fixed up. After, there will be space on the bench for the Kat frame.
                      What is the thought about a GSXR1127 engine in the Katana frame?
                      GREG

Comment

Originally posted by gmansyz View Post
                        Are they allright for you Ray? The left one is a turbo and the other on the right is a natural aspiriated one. It is actually 12.5:1 with the '87 GSXR head but I will space the block up some to reduce it. The squish is rather irrelevant so nothing to worry about.
                        I have a lot of work and money in them. They even weigh less than the stockers as a complete assembly.
                        I was considering keeping the bike and later go to a Huge valve head, like a 31.5/27 and 1530. Since I have had it for my birthday, I should keep it?
                        LATERS
                        G

12.5 isnt bad , the new bikes are 14:1, on pump fuel the rods are suppose to be better in kats why not keep it at 12??

Comment

Cr

Compression ratio is more dependant on fuel quality and heat control. Only small 600's have 14:1 whereas the larger bikes like 1000's have 12.5-13:1. Busa's and big Kwaks are in the 11.5-12:1. Air cooled even 11:1 may be pushing it with 91 octane fuel. And if it heat soacks, there is trouble. As to the rods, even the plain GS11E can take maybe 350 horsepower while the Katty can maybe go 400. The 1150 is the one with problems. The piston is the likely one to fail if it detonates. If you want some outrageous compression ratios, check out the triple stage turbo diesels they use in tractor pulls. They boost to over 100 PSI and with the 12:1 static, they are over 50:1.
                          Does that help?
                          G

Comment

Stock Kat rods as in oil cooed Kat or 493 rod GS Kat? The GSXR type Kat rods will NOT go 400 HP & live! Ray.

Comment

GS Kat rods.

Comment

Working...
                              X