acewell 2853 fitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acewell 2853 fitted

I finally got around to fitting my new acewell 2853. I ordered from electro sport in the US. With the aus dollar doing so well it saved me about $100 from local prices. The unit arrived within 10 days. Fitting was pretty straight forward. The only thing that gave me some trouble was fitting the reed switch. The 2 magnetic head rotor bolts that came with it were too small. 6mm I think and I needed 8. So I went down to jaycar and bought a rare earth magnet and epoxied it to the rotor between 2 bolts. I couldn't justify the price for the right rotor bolt. $20 aus plus postage over here. I also couldn't work out how to attach the reader to the fork so for now its zip tied until I can work out something more permanent. Setting the correct wheel diameter for the speedo took some work. I ended up putting a GPS unit on the tank and going for a ride. It took several stop starts and resetting the acewell but I got it aligned in the end. Wiring was easy enough just got my suzuki wiring diagram and the acewell diagram and matched them up. The tacho sensor wire didn't work very well on the plug lead so I tapped it into the coil sensor wire it now works great. My only left over problem is that the 2853 doesn't have a gear position indicator which the GS does. I can do with out it but I quite like having it as a quick reference. I'm thinking I will try and find a cup for it and mount it along side the acewell. I'd also like to fit a voltmeter so I might even fit them together somehow on the right of the acewell. I'm very happy with the unit. I would have liked to have kept the old guages but they were on the way out, needles were jumping and the guages were singing louder than the engine.. I'd tried repairing but gave up in the end.

Looks good, nice things come in little package.
    Marc
    AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
    1978 GS1000C X2
    1978 GS1000E X2
    1979 GS1000S
    1979 gs1000
    1983 gs400e

Comment

Forgot to ask, does the fuel gauge seem to be accurate?
      Marc
      AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
      1978 GS1000C X2
      1978 GS1000E X2
      1979 GS1000S
      1979 gs1000
      1983 gs400e

Comment

Im still having trouble getting the tachometer on mine to work. Which wire did you tap in to? Is it the black one w/ yellow stripe?

Also, electrosport sells speedometer converter cables that screw right in to the speedometer gear on your front wheel (no need to glue magnets). you just have to put in a funky wheel diameter to account for the gearing difference.

Comment

No my fuel guage is not accurate but thats down to the sender as it did the same thing before. After filling up it fluctuates between empty and full for about a qtr of a tank then reads correctly to empty. So one of my next tasks is to take it out and see whats happening. Basscliff has a good tip sheet that I intend using when I get to it. But because I tend to use the trip meter to watch my fuel it hasn't been a priority.

I connected to the Y/B wire. Tacho is now bang on.

Comment

Bonzo,
            Very cool, man. When the motor revs is the tach easy to read???

Thanks!
            -KR

Comment

I'd thought about getting one of those... still might I guess
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just an update as per Bad Kaws question the tach ended up being pretty hard to read. It flashes when you reach the max rpm but too small. So I purchased a Koso tachometer for about $120US and fitted that along side the acewell. The acewell tach is still connected so getting a reading from both now. The Koso although small is easy to read. Also finally got my fuel reading correctly in the acewell. After removing the fuel sender from the tank, breaking the connector, buying a spare that didnt fit then repearing the old one with plenty of solder connected and working.

Comment

another pic

Comment

Very informative! Thanks! Pretty cool, too!!!
                    -KR

Comment

Working...
                    X