Ignition Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Refresh

Alrighty. Looks like I'm going to be upgrading my ignition system in the near future. I'm more than likely going to end up replacing the coils, plugs, plug wires, and the ignition module. I was thinking Dyna S. Which coils do I need to pick up? Suppression core wires? Or copper core? How's about plug wire caps? Thanks in advance for any help you folks can render!

You will need the green coils (3 ohm).

Doesn't really matter if you use solid or suppressor wires, but your choice will affect which caps you need.
    There needs to be some suppression, whether it's in the wires or the caps is your choice.
    (Stock setup is solid wires and suppressor caps, if that makes any difference.)

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

New coils , dyna and wires wont be worth a hoot if the voltage to the coils is not up to snuff.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

I also like the NGK Iridium plugs (do a seach here)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        You will need the green coils (3 ohm).

Doesn't really matter if you use solid or suppressor wires, but your choice will affect which caps you need.
        There needs to be some suppression, whether it's in the wires or the caps is your choice.
        (Stock setup is solid wires and suppressor caps, if that makes any difference.)

Guess I'll go with suppression. Found some nice yellow wires, only available in suppression. Seems less painful overall. Should I snag a plug wire crimper while I'm at it, or will the assorted collection of pliers and clenching devices suffice? It's been a while since I've made a set for a car.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          New coils , dyna and wires wont be worth a hoot if the voltage to the coils is not up to snuff.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

I also like the NGK Iridium plugs (do a seach here)

http://www.gdlcycles.com/asp1/modeta...mID=TR_38-0190
          Next questions, answered before I could ask them! Thanks again posplayr!

Comment

Working...
          X