Rear shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shocks

In the next few weeks ,I will be replacing my clapped out progressive 412s 8yrs old
    for a pair of Ikons (koni) anyone tried them on a Gs1000s.
    are they worth the extra money I ask.

Thanks
    steve

Great shocks, they will sell you springs that are too stiff if you let them.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I wish I could get more motivated on shocks. I run 412s on my G, and don't mind paying that price, but it's gonna be like pulling teeth to pay for high grade shocks for the E. Some people get excited about them. I just can't. I look at Ohlins and think "God why would anybody pay that for shocks". Different things that turn our crank I guess. I'll drop a grand on head work and not think twice, but spending over $100 each for shocks makes me nauseous.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
        I wish I could get more motivated on shocks. I run 412s on my G, and don't mind paying that price, but it's gonna be like pulling teeth to pay for high grade shocks for the E. Some people get excited about them. I just can't. I look at Ohlins and think "God why would anybody pay that for shocks". Different things that turn our crank I guess. I'll drop a grand on head work and not think twice, but spending over $100 each for shocks makes me nauseous.
        Well, I suppose if you only like to go fast in a straight line, it wouldnt make that much sense. However, considering one will help you go faster, and the other will help you go faster and keep you from being dead, Id spend $100 on shocks any day of the week. Hell, Id spent more...

Comment

I know, I know, and don't plan on running blown out stockers on there. It's something you have to do (decent quality shocks). I just don't get starry eyed over them like some of you guys do.

Comment

Different strokes I guess.
            I'd drop a grand on shocks in a heartbeat, wouldn't spend a nickel on engine mods.
            Engine mods don't help me ride any faster, just let me get too fast easier.
            Great shocks let me easily ride faster safely...
            No brainer if you like to go fast.
            If you just like to blast the throttle to accelerate quickly at low speeds engine mods might be worthwhile.
            Last edited by tkent02; 01-08-2010, 05:10 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Different strokes I guess.
              I'd drop a grand on shocks in a heartbeat, wouldn't spend a nickel on engine mods.

Yep, which is why motorcycling is so awesome. Something for everybody.

Comment

Then there's me, I got a full Progressive kit from the PO, fork springs,shocks, and springs, so I get to save money for the engine mods too!

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
                  Then there's me, I got a full Progressive kit from the PO, fork springs,shocks, and springs, so I get to save money for the engine mods too!
                  Nice!
                  As I said, not like I'm gonna run blown out stock shocks on mine, but Progressive suspensions are good enough for me. I just don't get all tingley about Ohlins.

Comment

Nice!
                    As I said, not like I'm gonna run blown out stock shocks on mine, but Progressive suspensions are good enough for me. I just don't get all tingley about Ohlins.
                    Backing up, Gshub do you have a GS1000G because the Progressive 412's are not available for the 1000 chain drive versions?

Regarding cost if the 412's actually cost $299 I feel pretty lucky scoring a brand new set of standard Ohlins on fleabay a couple of years back for $460 (probably bid against everyone here). I also own a slightly used pair of Progressive 1200's w H/D springs, IMO there is clear functional difference between the Ohlins & 1200's beyond the shiney gold pieces.
                    Last edited by srsupertrap; 01-01-2010, 04:45 PM.
                    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Nice!
                      I agree...if you want to spend a bit more for extra adjustability spring (sorry) for the Ikons which offer both preload/damping, and custom lengths and spring rate. IMHO, unless you have the skill level (and the venue) to ride your GS at a level where the shocks are the limiting factor, Ikons or even Progressives should serve well enough for most riders.....Ohlins add undeniable bling, but the extra $400 could be put to better use elsewhere.
                      Last edited by Mysuzyq; 01-01-2010, 04:50 PM.
                      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Nice!
                        The Ohlins look great, no doubt about it. And the adjustability is great, which is also awesome. And there's the whole rebuildable thing. But it's just waaaay too much for my street-ridden bike, both cost and performance wise. I ride once or twice a month with mostly cruisers and tourers, nice twisty rides, but not often enough for Ohlins.

Now, if I get another daily rider, and can save the 1100 dedicated track and canyon work, that's another story entirely.

Comment

MMmmmm Ohlins! I've just forked out $4000 (NZ - about $3K US) on Ohlins shocks and springs for both my Ducati and my wifes 1200 Bandit. Also picked up some second hand ones for the GSX (for when I start working on it again...). WHAT a difference! The Bandit in particular - now it handles more like a scalpel than an axe with a rubber handle... - and still gives a 'magic carpet' ride over the paved goat tracks they call roads in NZ. And the Ducati has so far clocked up over half (2,000k's) the mileage that it did the last rear tyre in (4,000 k's), with the tyre currently looking less than a third worn - and I'm running Pirelli Diablo Rosso's on it... Do I think it was worth the money? HELL YES!

One thing that always confused me about the old Koni (now Ikon) shocks was EVERYbody said they were too hard as standard - yet when I originally put them on my GSX (loooong time ago), I ended up fitting even harder springs, and got a more compliant ride out of it - with no preload set for just me, middle preload for just me hammering it - or with a smallish passenger or pack on the back - and full preload for any passengers and/or big pack... Go figure....
                          '07 Yamaha TTR 250 - Exercycle.
                          '95 Ducati 900 SL - Duclattery
                          '81 Suzuki/Yoshi GSX1135 ET/X - Yoshi
                          '84 Suzuki McIntosh - Mac
                          '74 Yamaha YZ125A - pain in the rrr's...

Comment

Thanks for replies

Thanks Guys for all the replies.
                            will order some ikons soon.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by gshub View Post
                              Thanks Guys for all the replies.
                              will order some ikons soon.

steve
                              Did you get your Ikons yet? I was thinking about ordering up a set for my GL.

Comment

Working...
                              X