Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fabricators on the GSR (You know you want to play with your Lathe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabricators on the GSR (You know you want to play with your Lathe)

There are going to be several small pieces (like wheel spacers) I'm going to need fabbed up. I have had ZERO luck in finding a good machine shop in my area, and one quote from emachineshop told me that's not the route to go for 1 off stuff (if you need 50 the unit price isn't bad). I'll keep my local search up, but if anybody has the shop in the gareage, and needs an excuse to play with your toys, I'll be happy to throw some work your way and pay fairly for it. Mostly spacers, maybe some mounting plates, that kind of thing. The guy whose welder I borrow doesn't have a lathe or good jigsaw.

Might be worth calling Phinney Bay Machine Works.
    The owner has built and raced GS's..
    He does nice work..

I can manage smaller aluminum pieces on my manual lathe with non critical tolerances. I've done things like spacers for the top shock mounts, spacers for rear set mounts and fuel transfer tubes for VM carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
      Might be worth calling Phinney Bay Machine Works.
      The owner has built and raced GS's..
      He does nice work..

I can manage smaller aluminum pieces on my manual lathe with non critical tolerances. I've done things like spacers for the top shock mounts, spacers for rear set mounts and fuel transfer tubes for VM carbs.
      I'll look that guy up. emachineshop quoted $120 for a 1 off 35mm OD 20mm ID, 12MM thick axle spacer in aluminum (not even aircraft grade). Hey I know custom fabbed parts are gonna cost money, and I expected it to cost $45 or $50, but $120.. yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
        I'll look that guy up. emachineshop quoted $120 for a 1 off 35mm OD 20mm ID, 12MM thick axle spacer in aluminum (not even aircraft grade). Hey I know custom fabbed parts are gonna cost money, and I expected it to cost $45 or $50, but $120.. yikes.
        Katman probably sells everything you need

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Katman probably sells everything you need
          I'll send him a message. Thanks

Comment

+1, Rob (Katman) will probably have everything you need. If not, here is another option, from the 'GS Parts And Services' section.
            If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.
            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
              +1, Rob (Katman) will probably have everything you need. If not, here is another option, from the 'GS Parts And Services' section.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=148948
              yep

Comment

I have a local guy who is a machinist by trade but runs a vintage cycle repair and machine shop in his garage. Assuming it can be done accurately with drawings and dimensions, it my be worth giving him a call. Pricing is very fair and he loves old bikes. He is in the South Chicago burbs. PM me if you're interested.

Comment

Gonna email Katman, see what he says.

Comment

Brother, there are so many custom rod shops in the Nashville market. Surely there is someone that can turn you a couple spacers for reasonable money. If not there are some in Chattanooga. Come on down, I know a shop down the street from the house that does good work. While they are cutting your parts, we can down a beer or two and bench race.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogri View Post
                      Brother, there are so many custom rod shops in the Nashville market. Surely there is someone that can turn you a couple spacers for reasonable money. If not there are some in Chattanooga. Come on down, I know a shop down the street from the house that does good work. While they are cutting your parts, we can down a beer or two and bench race.
                      I'm sure they are, just had a hard time finding them. Busy 8 to 5 during the week, so hard to scout them out. I want to ride to Chattanoogs this spring for sure, we'll get together.

Comment

Working...
                      X