Carb Setup for 36mm Slingshots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Setup for 36mm Slingshots

Ok, I called Factory Pro, and they weren't much help. They're out of the emulsion tubes right now (should be back in stock in a couple of weeks), and because I am mounting to a different model than the carbs were stock on, they couldn't (wouldn't) give me much advice on what kit I needed. I'm going to go look around at gixxer.com, and see if I can find anything there, but has anybody set up these carbs on an 1100E. I'm thinking the GSXR1100 kit for those carbs would probably be pretty close, but I may be better off just getting new needles and emulsion tubes, and then buying jets individually.

When you call FactoryPro, ask for Mark. He owns the place & has worked with me in the past on this setup. Ray.

Comment

Hi N.,
      When i had my gsxr7/11, I had 38mm slingshot carbs with a factory pro jet kit.
      The kit was made to run gsxr750 carbs on a 1127 engine.
      This kit was still available last time i checked( this spring).
      Hope that helps.
      Marc
      AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
      1978 GS1000C X2
      1978 GS1000E X2
      1979 GS1000S
      1979 gs1000
      1983 gs400e

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll call them back Monday and ask for Mark.

Comment

Any experiences for jetting a set of bst38ss carbs (might be these: http://www.alpha-sports.com/supr/1990%20GSXR750/08.gif) when installed on a 1980 GSX1100 16v with 1166 Wisecos and sidewinder pipe (with homemade inner silencer)? Stock head and huge free flowing BMC -dual pod filters to fit the new carbs. The carbs are from 750 gsxr and fit to the original intake boots of my gsx just snugly, the spacing is correct.

Local dealer sold me these and they are fully restored with 117,5 main jet (UK and euro standard?). Havent tried to start the engine with these yet bacause here in Finland there will be a meter of snow until april and there is no point to start fiddling with the carbs before the weather gets warmer.

I was just thinking of getting maybe a couple sets of jets (main?) beforehand because it might take some to time to order stuff from abroad (way cheaper). Any suggestions where to start, 140 mains? I´m going to dyno the bike when the snow melts but I just dont have the patience to wait for the spring any more

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
            Ok, I called Factory Pro, and they weren't much help. They're out of the emulsion tubes right now (should be back in stock in a couple of weeks), and because I am mounting to a different model than the carbs were stock on, they couldn't (wouldn't) give me much advice on what kit I needed. I'm going to go look around at gixxer.com, and see if I can find anything there, but has anybody set up these carbs on an 1100E. I'm thinking the GSXR1100 kit for those carbs would probably be pretty close, but I may be better off just getting new needles and emulsion tubes, and then buying jets individually.
            FP uses Mikuni (stock) emulsion tubes. Dynojet has a proprietary emusion tube. I have both but never set them up. The needle shapes are very differnet; FP's are tapered, Dynojets are almost square. I spoke with teh Dynojet engineer (freelance) and just said to use the kit as is (needles and emulsion tubes). Will try and post some pics later of the differences.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
              Thanks guys. I'll call them back Monday and ask for Mark.
              What was Factory Pro's response? Did they suggest to use the Stage 3 kit designed for the GSXR1100?
              Thanks!
              2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
              1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
              2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
              s)

Comment

combustion enginering is such a challenging hobby, wouldn't you agree?

stoichiometric ratio and the smooth bell curve power we strive to achieve wilst using mismatched performance parts. Oh it's possible my dear friends with talent, tools, and luck. 1 thing to remember is that over carbing an engine is alwasy going to create a combination of street tuning compromises. - FACT-

by overcarbing you lose the intake velocity in the low rev range. and it will cough stutter stumble and such. W.O.T> is crazy better but nothing else.
                25 35 65mph is 1500~3000 rpm not 7000 rpm and high rpm's are needed for the intake velocity to create the vacuum to fill the cylinders at 13-1 A.F.R.... blah blah blah....

get a bunch of new spark plugs and a E.G.T. . mark the throttle tube into 1/8th increments and start the scientific method. pilot circuit first, main jet W.O.T. circuit second, and the mid range (needle) LAST! after the mid range transition feels good re check the mains and plug color (multiple times).

good luck
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                X