USD upgrade for gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USD upgrade for gs1000

On Paul Kahnert's story about his bike he mentions his 93 Gixxer front end bolting staight on. Is this a literal bolt on and away you go or is there minor work to be done to fit it? Also Would a Gsxr750 front end be up to the job on a GS1000? Are they the same components?

Both 750 & 1100 front ends of that year will bolt straight in but the 750 forks are shorter, apart from that they are the same

you really need the 1100 forks for the extra lenght tho

Comment

Shorter might be better as my wife cant ride it at stock height. Just need to lower the back then. Like i said in my introduction thread. I had better get the bike first. Its all too exciting.

Comment

Just check out how much lower you need the bike mate

93 750 forks are 740mm long where as the 1100 forks of the same year are 775mm long either will lower the gs a fair bit obviously & theres probably a few mm lost in the wheel & tyre as well

Comment

GSXR forks are usually bolt on, mounting gauges is the harder part, but certainly not rocket science.

Comment

Stock GS forks are about 800mm from top of tubes to centre of axle from memory, maybe a little longer.

You'll lose at least 50mm in the height of the wheel & tyre I would think if you go to a 17".

Most do the 1100 with the CBR top triple (stepped to gain an extra inch). Bike is then probably about 2" lower at the front which is probably marginal for clearance for a 4:1 pipe....

As well as gauges you'll need to sort out the ignition switch & probably the steerer stops too. Most don't use the clipons so you'll need risers & a bar to bolt onto it as well.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Do you know the if the 550E has the same legnth as the later 1000s? This might be my answer to my prob

Comment

Working...
              X