Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 GSXR1100 to 81 GS750L what fits?

Hello Everyone.
    I have an oppurtunity to purchase parts off a parts bike. The bike is an 88 GSXR 1100. The motor let go on it and it's a real shame for it's a very nice bike... Any way I have first dibs on buying the whole bike or taking the parts I want off of it. I know I will be taking the carbs but I wasn't sure what else would fit on my bike. I have an 81 GS750L chain Drive 16v. If there isn't much I can swap to my GS I may just buy the old Gxer any way, all in all it's an awesome bike. We are negotiating a price now... Also how much is too much?
    Thanks guys!
    -Jedz
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Those carbs will be too rich on the bottom end unless you port the heck out of your head and add oversized valves.
    An 88 GSXR 1100 with blown motor? Maybe $500. It depends on what's on it.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
      Hello Everyone.
      I have an oppurtunity to purchase parts off a parts bike. The bike is an 88 GSXR 1100. The motor let go on it and it's a real shame for it's a very nice bike... Any way I have first dibs on buying the whole bike or taking the parts I want off of it. I know I will be taking the carbs but I wasn't sure what else would fit on my bike. I have an 81 GS750L chain Drive 16v. If there isn't much I can swap to my GS I may just buy the old Gxer any way, all in all it's an awesome bike. We are negotiating a price now... Also how much is too much?
      Thanks guys!
      -Jedz
      The wheels, forks, rotor, brake caliprs are a great upgrade for GS if you want to stay closer to stock look; see mine

If you but teh whoel bike even with a blown motor the plastics if nice fetch a good price.

Comment

Lots can be made to fit, front end, rear end, wheels, etc., it's all a matter of what you want to do.
        If it were me, I would pay $500 for the GSXR, bring it home, then find another engine for it. Like maybe a 1200 Bandit engine? You'd have a pretty nice bike afterwards. The '88's were nice, they had cool colors and the 18" 3-spoke wheels.

Comment

Well here is a pic of the bike...

Link to larger pic https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...disp=inline&zw

The bike seems to be in great shape, All I really want to do is make my GS handle better and stop faster (only have the one stopper in the front) and if the GSXR parts will fit (forks, rear suspension, breaks, tires etc) It would be more cost effective to buy the bike and tear it down to enhance my GS, which would be my whole intention of buying the GSXR.

All I know so far is the bike has a worked 750cc head and that one of the rods went...(sounds like pre detonation due to high compression) Head is fine and the bottom end of the motor isn't the wrecked. He said I should get a new piston, rod and cylinder bank.

I haven't gotten in touch with with the guy yet for I have been busy. I'm off tomorrow and plan on driving down to at least look at it. I would have to say if I could get my hands on it for $500 I will definitely do that!

Thanks guys for your very much appreciated input!
          -Jedz
          Last edited by Jedz123; 01-26-2010, 08:48 AM.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
            Well here is a pic of the bike...

Link to larger pic https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...disp=inline&zw

The bike seems to be in great shape, All I really want to do is make my GS handle better and stop faster (only have the one stopper in the front) and if the GSXR parts will fit (forks, rear suspension, breaks, tires etc) It would be more cost effective to buy the bike and tear it down to enhance my GS, which would be my whole intention of buying the GSXR.

All I know so far is the bike has a worked 750cc head and that one of the rods went...(sounds like pre detonation due to high compression) Head is fine and the bottom end of the motor isn't the wrecked. He said I should get a new piston, rod and cylinder bank.

I haven't gotten in touch with with the guy yet for I have been busy. I'm off tomorrow and plan on driving down to at least look at it. I would have to say if I could get my hands on it for $500 I will definitely do that!

Thanks guys for your very much appreciated input!
            -Jedz
            linky no worky;

those 1052 GSXR motors worth more than the 750's but ususally guys go to Bandit 1200 motors as it is cheaper than a rebuild. This tends to supress the price. A work head might be worth a couple hundred. If the plastics are good you could easily recoop your investment and get the suspension for free. Parts could be sold at gixxer.cpm in the oiler section or ebay of course.

Comment

If he has a title the frame could be worth a bit too. I think I'd do as GER suggested and find an engine for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                If he has a title the frame could be worth a bit too. I think I'd do as GER suggested and find an engine for it.
                Well it depends on if he wants 18" 1100 3 spoke wheels or not. A descent stock 1100 would be worth about $1500-$2000 unless it really is nice. The engine might cost $500-$700 plus futzing

If the bike cost him $500 he is now into it $1000-$1200 in hopes of finding a buyer to make his $500-$800 and now have to buy in parts.

If he parts it out he probably gets all parts for free (and complete) plus make a little after recouping the $500 and no more cash outlay.

Now of course if he wants a 1st Gen 88 1100 that is a differnt matter.

Comment

Working...
                X