Is a Supertrap 4-1 worth fixing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a Supertrap 4-1 worth fixing?

When I was picking up a GS parts bike today I was also offered an old Supertrap 4-1 exhaust..

The down pipes are really beat (altercation with the pavement) but it's solid otherwise..

Is it worth trying to fix the dents?

I left it there but I'm going back in a few weeks to pick up another GS so I can still grab it.

If you were in Australia, I believe it would be worth it.
    Personally, i like the look of a supertrapp, and i would pay for an old one in good condition.
    I dont know about the US?

Comment

I always figured you would have to make a tool to fix them, some way to wedge a split ID matched steel ball to expand it and push the dents out. It would have to be on the end of a flex shaft. I think wall thickness is a real issue on old pipes they are thin to start and all of them have rusted away quite bit of the wall. At least around here in the great white north.

Comment

depending on your ability you could cut away the bad section and weld in new i would think...tough part would be the bends..i saw someplace on the net where you could send your pipe in and have it fixed...for the life of me i cant remember where...old age setting in.

John

Comment

No, send it to me.....
          I smacked mine hard enough to split the collector on one of those fuel tank lids at a service station. I brazed it up , that lasted a year.
          I took it to a guy who can tig weld stainless, He gave me 5hit for fLIcking with it, but fixed it for $50. He said the worst part was cleaning out the bronze. That was 7 years and 40000 km ago.
          Last edited by derwood; 01-31-2010, 03:09 PM.
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

If you like the look of the pipe then fix it,I fixed the dents by cutting them out,sorry for no "Before dent" pics but trust me they had 2 Large golf ball sized dents from kissing a curb at about 50mph,....Here is my link

Comment

If you don't want it, bring it down to me!!!!!
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have heard you can put water in the pipes and throw it in the freezer, the ice expansion will push the dents out. Might take a few freeze/thaw cycles. Don't know if it works, never tried it myself.

Might take a big freezer too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  I have heard you can put water in the pipes and throw it in the freezer, the ice expansion will push the dents out. Might take a few freeze/thaw cycles. Don't know if it works, never tried it myself.

Might take a big freezer too.

I've heard of people doing that with dented tanks also. I also have never tried it myself.

Comment

do a search, sometimes it works sometimes not; one of the great GS mysteries

Comment

Originally posted by machspeed View Post
                      I've heard of people doing that with dented tanks also. I also have never tried it myself.

OK that gives me ideas.. I wonder if you could fill it with sand and pack it in to drive the dents out..

If all else fails I can tig in some patches..

I'll be sure to grab it when I get the other bike..

Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

Working...
                      X