Clutch-less Shifting ignition kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch-less Shifting ignition kill

So I've been thinking about how to rig up a way to shift the bike with an ignition kill. I did some talking with my uncle and here's what we came up with. Sorry, i drew it and took a picture of it, and i know i drew it down-shifting too, but you'll get the idea.

There will be basically something that looks like an pneumatic cylinder and inside the cylinder will be two stiff compression springs. There will be a hole in the side of the cylinder where the pick up for a micro-switch will be connected to. One end of the micro-switch will be connected to ground and the other will be connected to the negative side of the coils. When the piston is centered by the two springs the switch will be depressed and the circuit will be open. But when an input is applied to the shifter the springs will compress and there will be shifting pressure applied to the mechanisms. The spring will compress until the piston moves far enough where it stops tripping the microswitch.

At this point the ignition is cut - unloading the gears and allowing the preloaded mechanism to quickly shift the gears. The second after the gears have shifted the piston will return to it's center opening the circut again and allowing spark to be restored.... Obviously a lot of trial and error will be involved, and it "looks good on paper" but I think this concept has potential...
    Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2010, 12:14 PM.

The idea has been around for years i recall seeing a kit advertised for drag racing using a micro switch to kill the spark while shifting, my memories getting abit vague but it was alot simplier than your drawing might have worked on the shift drum
    possibly used in the air shifter kits as well

Oz

Comment

the po on my bike had rewired the left hand horn button to kill the ignition

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        the po on my bike had rewired the left hand horn button to kill the ignition
        did the right hand horn button still work?
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
        X