Drag Bars on 1985 GS1150E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drag Bars on 1985 GS1150E?

What options do i have to put drag bars on a 85 GS1150E? I heard you can swap a GS750 top triple clamp into it but i'd like to know for sure before i buy one. what all does the install consists of? thanks.

GS750 top clamp is not wide enough....
    there are a couple different ways to add tube bars to your 1150.
    one way is to get a pair of risers from a 7/8" handlebar bike/dirt bike ect.
    bolt these to your factory top clamp.
    its not hard.
    think about what i just told you and you will go...
    hmmmmm..
    i get it

Comment

Never seen a V&H header that discolored. Is your bike running lean?

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
        V&H pipes don't have much chrome.
        ive opened them new in the box with rust between the head pipes

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          V&H pipes don't have much chrome.
          ive opened them new in the box with rust between the head pipes
          WOW
          thats leaner than lean...
          looks like some of chef bill's stuff

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
            i couldn't tell u, i just got the bike non-running about a week ago. has a bad rect/reg. and possibly bad pickup coils. 2-3 cyl's run good but 1-4 are intermittent. i've been searching here and Dragbike for similar issues so i can troubleshoot my bike. seems like the pickup coils are the number one problem..

as far as the bars go, i thought about throwing some bolt-on dirtbike clamps on there. but i'd like to have something more solid. maybe i'll have some Tig Welded on... is there any kind of triple that will replace the factory one?

Comment

WOW that is not cheap chrome. Just imagine the condition of the valves and piston crowns.

I worked on a ZN 700 that had 1 pipe that bad and eventually the piston crown gave way to preignition. hard to believe but true, not tuning the carbs right would burn a hole in a piston.
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Great... looks like i'll be doing a compression test. i believe it once had conical filters on it because of the jetting. it didn't have anything when i got it, but i ordered some new ones. it has 150 mains(i believe 120 is OEM?), 47? pilots i think(45 OEM?), 110 air jets. What does that tell you? i was told the carbs had just been gone thru recently after sitting in storage for 8 years. i pulled them apart and they look very clean, but i'm not really familiar with tuning carbs. the bike only has 8800 miles.

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!
                -Brandon

Comment

That's a real nice looking 1150.

Pipe is pretty crispy for sure. I welded a bung for an O2 sensor at the collector on my chrome VH, it spotted the chrome around the bung, but that pipe must have been glowing at some point. Geeezzzz!

Anyways, back to the question on the drag bars. Why not just go with some clip-ons like Vortex. They will bolt right on to the top of the fork tubes without loosing any fork height. Less problems figuring out how to mount the drag bars.

Anyway, just another idea that would work.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post
                    That's a real nice looking 1150.

Pipe is pretty crispy for sure. I welded a bung for an O2 sensor at the collector on my chrome VH, it spotted the chrome around the bung, but that pipe must have been glowing at some point. Geeezzzz!

Anyways, back to the question on the drag bars. Why not just go with some clip-ons like Vortex. They will bolt right on to the top of the fork tubes without loosing any fork height. Less problems figuring out how to mount the drag bars.

Anyway, just another idea that would work.

Eric
                    do you know what size i need? Inner Diameter?

Comment

37mm. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by 02BLknBLU View Post
                        do you know what size i need? Inner Diameter?

Not for sure on the 1150.

I looked around some, but didn't find a measure for the 1150.

My guess is 37mm, but that is a guess.

Someone here should know, or just measure the top fork tube.

Edit: Yea, Ray would know. lol

Comment

Only picture I have, but here's what it will look like with a set of Vortex.

Had to make a short master cylinder brake hose, trim the triple clamp cover, and swap all the cables to opposite side of the frame.
                          At full left lock the choke lever is about 1/4" from the tank.
                          Would like to be able to rotate the bars a little further forward, but the pinch bolts will rub against the gauge pod.
                          Last edited by gs1197; 03-20-2010, 08:25 PM.
                          Thieves.....kill them all.

Comment

Set of bars I made out of chromoly. The front end and trees are 91 gsxr 1100 and bolt right up to your 1150.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman Customs View Post
                              Set of bars I made out of chromoly. The front end and trees are 91 gsxr 1100 and bolt right up to your 1150.

That is pretty slick!

What is that next to the Tach? A video camera?

And the "Old Chinese Coin" nice touch.

Comment

Working...
                              X