GS450 with pods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 with pods?

Ok, I tried to search for information on this and found a bit but most of it was people saying the bike runs better with the stock air box. Now that may be true but I'm not here to argue that. I need to set the engine up to run with pods, there is no air box or space for an air box. Simply put, lets just pretend that there never was such a thing.

So I have a few questions about pods.
    1) Is anyone successfully running pods on a gs450? If so can you share how you set things up?

2) I've read someone where online that says the K&N pods are too restrictive. Is there a brand that is considered less restrictive?

3) If your not running pods but want to offer some helpful suggestions, please what are those suggestions?

Originally posted by dedfish View Post
    So I have a few questions about pods.
    1) Is anyone successfully running pods on a gs450? If so can you share how you set things up?

2) I've read someone where online that says the K&N pods are too restrictive. Is there a brand that is considered less restrictive?

3) If your not running pods but want to offer some helpful suggestions, please what are those suggestions?

i have EMGO pods on my 81, but its not for performance, its to clean things up so i NEVER have to put the damn box in again! i just taped them up till 1" from the end with electrical tape.

hasnt really been run on the road yet, just some reving in my driveway and plugs arent white, but again not a real wolrd driving so let someone else chime in

Comment

Originally posted by 504-Ranger View Post
      i have EMGO pods on my 81, but its not for performance, its to clean things up so i NEVER have to put the damn box in again! i just taped them up till 1" from the end with electrical tape.

hasnt really been run on the road yet, just some reving in my driveway and plugs arent white, but again not a real wolrd driving so let someone else chime in
      Thanks for responding. I'm not looking to run them for performance gains either. It's just that with the modifications I've done there is no putting the stock air box back.

Comment

i just saw everyone with the hassles of changing the carbs for changing to pods, so i said eff all the guess work im taping up the pods and going on my merry way!

Comment

I want to go down this path with my '81 450 also, but I'm nowhere near there yet.

My thinking is simply that I will have a custom exhaust, the airbox won't fit with the look I want, so pods are the only way forward.

From what I've read around the place, K&N are the only brand to go for (for ease of jetting) and you'll probably need larger mains and maybe larger pilot jets also.

I found some links around the place like BassCliff's site that give you a guide as to how many jet sizes to go up and things like that depending on exhaust, air box, pods, etc.

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
          X