Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V&H Billet Clutch Basket Question

Hi!

I have located, in my neck of the woods, an old V&H billet clutch basket that needs the backer plate with the gears and also the springs.

I have been told that APE, Falicon, etc. sell kits with these parts that can be pressed together.

Is this something that can be done at home without special tools or must it be done by a machine shop, etc?

What kind of $$$ are we looking at here for this kit?

Following are a few pics of that basket:

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
    1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
    2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
    s)

Nice find Normand,
    if you ever change your mind just drop me a PM,
    Have a good evening,
    Marc
    AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
    1978 GS1000C X2
    1978 GS1000E X2
    1979 GS1000S
    1979 gs1000
    1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
      Nice find Normand,
      if you ever change your mind just drop me a PM,
      Have a good evening,
      Marc
      Hi Marc,

I'm happy about the find, but hope I can find the required parts to complete it.

Looks like we'll be able to ride on a regular basis soon. It's getting nicer outside.

Normand
      s)

Comment

Looks like it didn't finish the mfg process Your looking probably $200 in parts
        plus you need someone to do the welding

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          Looks like it didn't finish the mfg process Your looking probably $200 in parts
          plus you need someone to do the welding
          Sorry! I forgot to mentioned that the PO removed the springs and back plate to repair another one. Thus the reason for missing parts.

I didn't know that these billet baskets needed to be welded. I was under the impression that they were press fit (and that on the other hand, OEM clutches must have the back plate welded when installing the new HD back plate) ... but I'm probably out in left field because I have never seen nor done one of these.

Thanks!
          s)

Comment

I would send that hub & a stock one to John Pearson or talk to Kim Barringer at Carolina Cycle to have it built. Ray.

Comment

thats a well used basket.
              you may be better off to find a used complete assy.
              if a shop has to supply a gear and a new backing plate kit plus labor...
              your looking at 300.00-400.00 give or take USD.
              these are clamped and welded in a fixture..
              not pressed together by the way.

Comment

If you decide you don't want to mess with it, let me know how much you'll take for it! Ray.

Comment

Super simple to assemble, press, and weldthe 3 pins geico easy --- caveman

if you pay someone more than 30 bucks to get it done you got had.

GS zone and the kit is just a few bucks... but if the basket is bare--you will need a couple pieces that are in a stock basket that will not come with the kit.
                  SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    I would send that hub & a stock one to John Pearson or talk to Kim Barringer at Carolina Cycle to have it built. Ray.
                    What would they do Ray? Would they use the gear from my stock basket, and add a HD back plate along with HD springs?
                    Thanks!
                    Normand
                    s)

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                      What would they do Ray? Would they use the gear from my stock basket, and add a HD back plate along with HD springs?
                      Thanks!
                      Normand
                      I'm not Ray (obviously), but yes, that is what they would do.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        I'm not Ray (obviously), but yes, that is what they would do.
                        Would they keep the OEM backing plate along with the gear and simply "sandwich" it between the HD backing plate and the billet basket?

In other words, in this pic of an APE Gorilla clutch hub assembly, is the OEM backing plate hidden under that new HD backing plate, or has it been "machined" out before adding in the heavy duty springs and the rivets?

Thanks!
                        s)

Comment

No. The new backing plate is THICKER which is most of the benefit of doing the mod. If you just weld up the rivets on a stock backing plate it defeats the purpose as the springs will beat their way out of the stock backing plate. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            No. The new backing plate is THICKER which is most of the benefit of doing the mod. If you just weld up the rivets on a stock backing plate it defeats the purpose as the springs will beat their way out of the stock backing plate. Ray.
                            What do they do with the stock backing plate (remove it, or leave it under the new HD plate)?
                            Thanks!
                            s)

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                              What do they do with the stock backing plate (remove it, or leave it under the new HD plate)?
                              Thanks!
                              makes a nice ash tray

Comment

Working...
                              X