Gs-xr 1428 oil cooler mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs-xr 1428 oil cooler mounting

I getting back on track with my gs gsxr hybird and have ran into a problem mounting the oil cooler. When i got it it had twin oil coolers mounted on each side up front, i have replaced the front fairings and don't really want to mod the new stuff for the coolers. Would it be ok to mount the cooler in the tail, or is that too much line to pump oil through? The cooler i have is to big to mount up front like stock and i don't think i wand much smaller one since the motors so big any ideas??

I think your going to have to post some pics to get decent advice but I'm almost certain that your cooler won't do you much good mounted in the back and out of the direct air flow.

Do you have a GS engine mounted in a GSXR frame? Or GSXR running gear on a GS frame?

Comment

Here are some pictures the bike is a second gen gsxr with a gs 1100 motor, the second to last picture shows how I was thinking of mounting it, I know ill need to at least mount a fan or two on it, but I'm just not sure if it is too far away for the oil pump to pump to, i really don't want to burn up this motor and also with fans on it will it cool enough in the tail

Comment

Most bikes that have the cooler in the tail, sides, etc. have ducting designed into the bodywork to route airflow to them....the fan is usually thermostatically controlled and only turns on absent enough airflow. I would do as Isleoman suggests and use an 1150 size cooler at minimum, up front....these are quite compact, and shouldn't have any clearance issues even with the fairing.....alternatively, there are higher efficiency, curved units available (more passes & surface area) that mount in front and should clear the bodywork ....these are not cheap, but should work better with your level of engine mods, IMHO. Take a look at Bandit 1200 coolers...I think they are larger than 1150 ones, but more compact than the one in your pic.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
        X