Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lower Bars on L Without Swapping Cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower Bars on L Without Swapping Cables?

Anyone know of a lower rise set of handlebars I can stick on my 81
    GS650L without needing to track down throttle/clutch cables from the a G? I'm just looking for something more comfortable, maybe Daytona or Superbike style bars. Not looking to go down to drag bars of anything. Thanks!

Guy,

I switched the bars on my 650g to superbike bars. I got the existing cables to work, but they look a bit weird. Here is the throttle cable.

The clutch cable broke and I ordered new cables. I ordered cables for a 650m Katana which has lower bars. I've changed the clutch but haven't gotten around to the throttle yet. Good luck.

Charlie G.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
      Guy,

I switched the bars on my 650g to superbike bars. I got the existing cables to work, but they look a bit weird. Here is the throttle cable.

The clutch cable broke and I ordered new cables. I ordered cables for a 650m Katana which has lower bars. I've changed the clutch but haven't gotten around to the throttle yet. Good luck.

Charlie G.
      What do you think of the superbike bars? Big difference as far as comfort/steering goes?
      Besides the funny routing on the throttle cable, does it still feel as responsive? Thanks.

Comment

Get the cables.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You can put "G" bars on an "L" bike without the need to switch cables.
          If you want even lower bars, like the Superbike or Daytonas, then you should get new cables.
          Probably not a bad idea anyway, particularly the clutch cable.

Comment

I am looking to change mine out as well... how much shorter do I need to go?

Is ordering for the 650M the best way if I am going to Daytona bars?

I got a new clutch cable already and stock throttle, I dont mind getting new cables and just saving the others as spares. Also I am looking to order stainless brake lines and I think Z1 does it on length, how much shorter than the existing will I need to go?

Sorry for thread hijack but looking to do the same here and order up parts this weekend.

where should I go for this stuff as well, online of course but who do you recomend?

Comment

Originally posted by guyonabikewv View Post
              What do you think of the superbike bars? Big difference as far as comfort/steering goes?
              Besides the funny routing on the throttle cable, does it still feel as responsive? Thanks.
              I only went for a short ride with the stock bars. They were pretty high and I felt I was riding a prancing pony,. Holding the reins in front of my chest. I like the superbike bars. I feel like they place a bit of my weight (lean?) on the bars, which assists in turns and conteracting the wind. I haven't changed the brake line yet. I managed to get it to bend and take up the slack. Just because I like them, dosen't mean you will. I would recomend sitting on someones, or riding on someone bike, who has them to get a better idea. This is the style of bars I've always ridden, so it's comfortable to me.

I would think the seat on your L would be a bit lower than my G. This might change things a bit. I got mine at Z1. $15.00 plus shipping. I thought it was pretty cheap. Good luck!

Charlie G
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
                I am looking to change mine out as well... how much shorter do I need to go?

Is ordering for the 650M the best way if I am going to Daytona bars?

I got a new clutch cable already and stock throttle, I dont mind getting new cables and just saving the others as spares. Also I am looking to order stainless brake lines and I think Z1 does it on length, how much shorter than the existing will I need to go?

Sorry for thread hijack but looking to do the same here and order up parts this weekend.

where should I go for this stuff as well, online of course but who do you recomend?

Sorry, I didn't measure the cables before and after.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Comment

swaping bars always a total PITA

cables wires hoses cables wires hoses oh! tank clearance and gauges man O man!

yep easy in theory but theory and reality don't live in the same neighborhood.

good luck buddy remember we love these contraptions...
                  SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

#4 Yesterday, 11:51 PM Nessism Get the cables.
                    I agree with Ed, more importantly get a new upper brake line so you do not have the big loop in the old one. It is a good excuse to get a new SS line. I would get it all hooked up and make sure you like the bars first (you will BTW) and then use a piece of electrical wire to measure for the new line overall length.
                    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I will guess and order up the parts based on the 650M model, and maybe take a few inches off my existing brake line.

I had a daytona bar for replacing on a honda rebel and did a dry fit sitting on the bike to see if i liked the fit, seemed to be about what I am looking for. It looked to be something like 3-4 inches shorter on the lines...

As far as being a pita, yea that is why I plan to pack the new parts and do the swap at a "local" wrenching party here in NE. got 2 weeks till that so need to order up the stuff this weekend.

Comment

I have an 82 650g.

I wanted to get cafe racer bars or drag bars.

I looked at it, and it looked easy as hell, their only a few inches shorter/flatter right?

Cables don't look like their really going to sag much at all, since they are already really tight.

Anybody have a write-up on this?

Comment

quick point to ponder. when I put clubman bars on my 81L, the brake master hit the gages. I ended up grabbing the master off a 650 savage and sleaving it to fit my bars.

Comment

Working...
                          X