X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G with a 650g transplant (sort of)

HI all

This could be a very shortlived project but need some advice

I have an 83 650g shaft drive bike that I was looking at modifying into a cafe racer.

I did not want to molest or cut or wreck the frame as it is in a nice original condition.

What I can get a hold of is a GS850 (year unknown) frame, swingarm and rear wheel for no cost that is not as clean or in good condition as my 650 frame.

The dumb question is this.

Can I reuse most if not all of the 650 parts onto this 850 frame.

The engine might need a mounting plate manufactured but I am hoping forks, engine etc should mount on.

I would then clean up, fix and modify this frame as it is not 100% as good as my 650 frame.

Good luck with this one. Those engines are significantly different in a lot of ways. Start with a GS850 frame if you insist on making a cafe bike out of it.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

That sounds like the way he is trying to go.

You will definitely have to fabricate some engine mounts.
      You might have to also get creative with the driveshaft.
      The forks shouldn't be too much of a problem.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep Plan of attack is this:

1. fix up the 850 frame, rust, weld etc
        2. cut off the pieces I wont need (extra mounts, tabs, small part of the rear tail to accomdate a new seat)
        3. build an engine mount if needed for the 650g engine (unless I can find a super cheapie in AUS)
        4. mount the forks from the 650g, again unless i find a bargain gsxr or equivalent on ebay (in AUS)
        5. build a new wiring loom (best part)
        6. mount the clubmans
        7 make up the rest as I go.

store my precious leftover 650g bits.

Then as I buy bits and pieces off ebay or elsewhere to put on the 850gcf (aka 850g Cafe Racer) as replacements for the 650g parts I scavengged from my original 650g, put the 650g parts back on to the 650g once they have been put back to new

Comment

All of the 850s have 37mm forks and your 650s are 35mm. You would probably have to swap the triple tree if you want to use 650 forks in the 850 frame.

Comment

Working...
          X